Chapter 19 - guilt and desperation

"#@!#@!"Abe swore heavily. "Mind your language, even though we're being captured we're still in the presence of queens and princesses" Liam turned his head around to look at us and acknowledged us with a short nod. "Behave" hissed Clarissa giving a confident wave and a friendly smile to the helicopter, even though there were no visible people peering out. "I have a plan" said the general waving us a little closer. "Well hurry up and tell us before we're turned over to the rebels" said Abe not to grimace through his teeth while he mimicked Clarissa. 

After five minutes the helicopter was hovering just above our heads and the voice spoke once again. "All runaways please cooperate, this will make it easier for you, and you will be subject to less punishments once we reach the safehouse, repeat, please cooperate, this is general Tony head of the royal army, I have two thousand men coming in aircrafts if you do not surrender" said the same sickly sweet voice I heard before. The general sighed and rubbed his head "this makes what I'm going to do so much easier".To my surprise, somewhere to my left something started moving rapidly. Clarissa ran to the front of the hovering helicopter. "Please general! oh handsome sweet general, they have taken me hostage, let me return home!" she called out fake crying in front of the helicopter. If she wasn't careful they may run her over. To my further surprise a male form leaned out of the open door. He grinned at Clarissa and winked. "I don't believe your hostage story, but you're pretty and I believe you have realised your mistake, we could find a use for you" it was that guy from the shooting, Tony. My heart swelled with anger as I fought the urge to hit him in his ugly face. General Tony leaned out of the helicopter as he offered Clarissa a hand. Clarissa giggled and grabbed his hand. It was too late Clarissa had made a wrong move. She wasn't following the plan anymore. Horrified, I watched her be led into the helicopter. With one foot still on the ground she punched Tony in the stomach with her left knee and elbowed his head a few times as he began to fall to the ground. "I had to show off" she called out with a grin. "Repeat, repeat, captain down!" called the sound of the radio inside the helicopter. The young boy flying the helicopter looked terrified. We all ran in separate directions.

Me, Clarissa and Brayden managed to find cover behind an old shipping container after a long period of silence. I expected the general to say something stupid like 'well, it's rather cosy in here' or 'hey C-girl'. I guess I was still not used to the serious side of him. "How old are you?" I asked Brayden unexpectedly. He looked at me in surprise. "20, next year, my birthday is on the 15th of february" he replied looking down. "Oh! you're only 19? it must be cool to have your birthday on the same day as Cassandra the first" I said surprised. I never knew this fact and it made sense now, why he didn't have any birthday parties as a kid because of the Cassandra the first celebrations. "It must be cool to be named after her" said the general wiggling his eyebrows at me. "I don't know honestly, there aren't very many actual pictures of her apart from imaginative paintings which show her as many different things and people, all I know is that I was named after someone great, someone who made a change in the very way we live, everyone knows that all humans fear change and difference" I quoted out of one of the ancient textbooks. Clarissa clapped her hands together sarcastically, "well done nerd girl, we all know you did well in school" Clarissa said giving me an infuriating look. "Clarissa can you go check where the helicopter is now? don't go any further then that bush over there" said The general awkwardly pointing to a nearby bush. Clarissa sighed with a glance directed my way. Then she practically ran so she could get her job over and done with. Brayden stood up then gestured for me to stand up as well with a serious, conflicted face. "What is it? are we in danger?" I said worried. "Yes, I'm in danger of losing my heart to you" said Brayden holding both of my hands. "What's going on?" I said more confused than ever and slightly worried. "Cassandra, ever since I came to this castle I've been in head over heels for you, your beauty, your grace and your sass shows me the great person you are and the amazing woman you've become" The general turned to me with seriousness in his eyes. Speechless, my mouth hung open and I refrained from pulling my hands out of his grip. "The truth is... I'm in love with you" Brayden bent over and kissed me lightly on the cheek, kissed my hands and then turned away again. "Cassandra, I've never been one for goodbyes but... I have to do this.. for you, our country and the kingdom" he walked further than the bushes and I stared at his back in horror. The General turned back to give me one last sad, mournful, longing smile. Then he walked into the path of the incoming helicopter and yelled "I surrender".