Distractions || Yuri Plisetsky

[Rating: PG13]
[Word Count: 1,259]
[Summary: Yuri tries to help you nail your triple axle, but something about you distracts him from his original goal.]
[Edited 10.13.2017]

     You watched in awe as Yuri glided across the ice, each of his moves executed with the utmost skill. It amazed you that somebody so irritable and short-tempered could appear to be so graceful in the rink.

     Unfortunately, it didn't take long for him to notice your gaze.

     He slowed to a stop, glaring at you. "Do you need something?" 

     "No, I was just watching..." You trailed off and looked away to avoid meeting his intense stare.

     "Shouldn't you be off practicing your own program or something?" he sniped.

     "I would, but Coach isn't here, and no matter how hard I try, I can't nail the triple axel," you admitted. "Not everybody has the 'raw talent' you do."

     "That's for sure," he muttered, giving you a pointed look.

     You sat silently for a moment, cursing your awkwardness. Yuri's contentious attitude clashed with your good-natured intentions on a regular basis, though, so it wasn't anything new.

     A few moments later, the blond sighed exasperatedly and skated towards you, stopping only a few feet away. "Hurry up and put on some skates."

     "Excuse me?"

     "It's not like you have the motivation to teach yourself. I'm offering to help, so be thankful."

     This was unexpected. Was Yuri actually taking interest in tutoring you? Or did he just pity you?

     Regardless of his reason, you rushed into the locker room to throw on your skating equipment. You were actually worried he would change his mind in the short time it took you to get ready.

     Upon hurrying back out to Yuri, you stumbled on the ice. You knew the moment you started to fall that there was no way to avoid it, and so you crashed facefirst into the ground. 

     Yuri's stern face contorted into a reluctant grin at this, and he held out his hand for you. It was obvious he was holding back a laugh in order to feign his usual intimidating atmosphere.

      "It's not even funny," you pouted, begrudgingly taking his hand as he helped you up.

     "No, not funny. It's just ironic."

     "How so?"

     "It's ironic somebody this clumsy expects to make it very far in figure skating."

     You frowned. You almost wanted to tell him how ironic it was that somebody so aggressive and unapproachable was trying to go for an agape theme, but you knew Viktor was behind that, so you kept your mouth shut.

     He crossed his arms, his face returning to its usual scowl. "Anyway, let me see you try to do a triple axel."

     You sheepishly backed away from him and sped across the rink, putting as much power into the jump as you could muster. Unsurprisingly, you ended up crashing down onto the ice. As you stared up at the ceiling of the rink helplessly, you couldn't help but sigh in defeat. It wasn't rare for you to be disappointed in your skating, but messing up in front of Yuri left your confidence dwindling.

     "Get up," he commanded.

      You dragged yourself to your feet. Even if it was to your disadvantage, you had to admit that you liked Yuri's demanding nature.