Chapter 3 - An Awakening Part 1

Dorian had visited many theatres before and been invited to many private boxes, but never one quite as grand and luxurious as the one Lady Helena now led him to. It was situated in the finest area of London, where the wealthy and powerful conjugated and reveled in extravagance. The playhouse itself was one of the newer constructions and was built to accommodate very large audiences. The front displayed several ornate facades and four tall stone columns with a large glazed dome set in the center of the building. The inside of the three-story building was brightened by the most decorative gas lighting and the eyes feasted on all the bright fabrics and intriguing paintings that adorned the walls. Under the dome were three elaborate balcony areas surrounding an enlarged pit which was sunken below street level.

The house was packed that night with the most influential and beautiful denizens that the city had to offer. They were greeted at an exclusive wide-oaken door and quickly passed through to the private level via the lavish grand staircase where they were met with sumptuous, thick carpets imported from all over the world, gold-tooled leather, and plush furniture.

Despite the heavy cloud of smoke that hung in the air, Dorian was easily able to distinguish several seating areas where the acquaintances and business associates of Lady Helena gathered. During intermissions, the group purposefully ignored the detailed scene the backdrops painted upon the stage, preferring to attend to their own various indulgences. Only when the actors took the stage did they give their attentions to the portrayal of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream." It seemed to Dorian, that the scenes both on the stage and between the acts in the private box played out in parallel; with multiple ladies wearing dresses of every shape and color, gentlemen both tall and fat, high-priced prostitutes, and shrewd businessmen mingling and trading affection. This was all done while smoking tangy cigars and poignant cigarettes, drinking dark-swirling liquors, and engaging in several other types of discourteous displays. When the play resumed and the audience took their seats, the actors playing Lysander, Hermia, Helena, and Demetrius capered and courted, fought and fled. And of course, true to both scenes—all loved Helena and Lady Helena alike.

Lady Helena graciously received and dismissed her enamored guests each in turn, keeping Mr. Gray at her side and making the necessary introductions. Many were business associates that sought her expertise and skill at importing or exporting various desirable items, but more still were admirers or social acquaintances looking to bask in the limelight and earn a place at the heart of the action. All were immediately enamored with him and fell over themselves to obtain his approval.

This was all quite new for Mr. Gray, but he played his part well, with a warm smile and welcoming voice. Ladies and harlots alike sought his favor and attentions as surely as Puck sought mischief in the dark forests that were his domain. Lady Helena presided over it all like royalty, as if entertaining international dignitaries at her summer court. She controlled the situation carefully, allowing Mr. Gray a brief smoke of a fine, imported cigar from Lady Weller here, a drink of single malt Scotch from Mr. Harrop there, and a few moments with a dollymop sitting on his lap—quickly shoed away after an unexpected, lingering kiss. The people and music became a blur of mixed sensations, intriguing sights, and unfamiliar sounds.

As Dorian reached for a proffered glass of fine Cognac, Lady Helena scolded him gently and laid her hand on top of his. "Have a care Mr. Gray, it would be in poor taste to dull your senses too soon to the pleasures this night holds for you. One must build their tolerance for liquor slowly and gain mastery of it for what it is: A tool to ease your mind and nerves yes, but when correctly applied—a powerful means of persuasion in both business and romance."

Dorian nodded and found wisdom in Lady Helena's words, as he did to every new idea she exposed his receptive mind to.

When the play concluded and the actors made their final bows, Lady Helena whisked the select few downstairs to a fleet of waiting carriages. These carried them covertly to the private and infamous club owned by Mr. Harrop. There Dorian was both shocked and intrigued to observe a provocative production of Victorian Burlesque, as it progressed through the night.

The performers were beautiful and sultry and graceful nonetheless. Misted with the most intriguing scent and adorned in deep, scarlet-red corsets, with dark opaque stockings, they were covered in sparkling stones as well as fanciful plumes of feathers which they employed to cover—or not cover, various areas of their athletic bodies as they cavorted, danced, and sang in beautiful voices.

Like a siren's call, he was drawn to them by the harmonious melodies of their song and the undulating rhythm of their bodies, as abstruse music and swaying dance intertwined in a carnival for the senses. Dorian and Lady Helena were seated at a place of honor to enjoy the spectacle. They were plied with a steady stream of mysterious drinks and enticing female companionship, who became evermore bold and free with their hands and attentions as the evening waned on. Dorian quickly squashed any moral objections nagging restlessly at the back of his mind as he observed the other businessmen, gentlemen, and even ladies of high society engaging in the debauchery with high abandon.

The men had been joined in secret by many of the ladies from the theatre. The majority seemed to be in attendance without their husbands and arrived by separate carriages. Neither seemed to have any qualms about enjoying themselves, nor the dancer's advances.

The dancers would approach first Lady Helena, then Dorian, one at a time. They flirted, shared a drink, and often reclined across a chair or sofa while conversing. Several seated themselves on Dorian's lap directly and one even conducted a private display of her dancing prowess while still seated there. This kept Dorian's interest most keenly, though Lady Helena soon became bored and began a lengthy conversation with Mr. Harrop which crossed to and fro between business, art and music.