Chapter 3 - An Awakening Part 2

It was most difficult to sort out the time from the jeweled pocket watch that Dorian kept under his waist coat. It ticked sluggishly and stuttered back and forth between two hands and four. Uncertain on his feet and reeling at the overstimulation of his senses, Dorian thought it best to beg a hasty retreat.

He struggled with the amount of drink weighing on his mind. His thoughts seemed liquefied and he felt as though he were aboard a mighty ship, the room swaying from side to side with the waves of intoxication. "Lady Helena, the time being half past three, I really must retire for the evening. I thank you so much for your gracious invitation and...entertainments."

"The pleasure was mine, Mr. Gray. It was about time you were properly introduced to society. I look forward to the next evening we shall share together. Allow me to take you home as it seems you have had a bit too much to drink."

"No, no that is quite alright."

"Well at least let my valet escort you in the carriage, it is my duty as your hostess to see that you make it safely home."

"Very well, perhaps that would be wise."

Dorian made his farewells and struggled towards the carriage with the help of Lady Helena's valet. Her man helped him into the carriage and quickly started the horses moving at a brisk walk. It seemed only moments until Dorian arrived back at his father's house.

It had been many years since his father passed away, yet still he was unable to think of the large country house in Woodford as his own property. A great deal of expense had gone towards the rejuvenation of the garden and the revitalization of the exterior of the building, as well to refurnish and style of the interior to Dorian's tastes.

He refused further help from the valet, making his own way up the walkway towards his father's manor, partly so he would be unobserved as he retched in the concealing dark of the garden flowerbeds. Afterward, his mind felt greatly cleared—yet still troubled as the evening's events replayed themselves through his memory. His dutiful valet, Henry, was not unaccustomed to late hours and had everything prepared so Dorian could be quickly abed. His last thoughts as sleep overtook him were of Lady Helena's dangerous smile and how displeased Sage would be if she ever learned of his questionable behavior that evening.

Late the next day, Dorian was awoken by the most astounding headache and overwhelming feelings of guilt. Despite the onslaught against his psyche, he arose and began dressing with some difficulty. His eyes were sensitive to the light from the windows and his stomach churned with emptiness. He began a prolonged breakfast of delicate biscuits and butter along with a heaping of bacon and strong coffee thoughtfully brought by Henry.

After the meal he felt much improved and he slowly made his way to visit Sage and the wolf pup as promised. Sage was most pleased to see him as always and was easily steered away from any conversation about last night's misadventures. The pup seemed greatly grown in both size and confidence as it bounded around the entire house, exploring new areas and greeting all imagined combatants, such as the Victorian reading chair, with a vigorous energy. It was good to see the two and the whole experience cleared his mind from the foggy and conflicting thoughts lurking there. The wolf pup was most loyal, barely leaving his side, and quite in tune with Dorian as they played and wrestled—for the two had forged a lasting bond.

As the days of summer quickly expired, this ritual would repeat itself frequently. Dorian continued experiencing new discoveries and delights of the night at the instructional hand of Lady Helena. Occasionally, he would accept her offers to escort him home. Those moments spent alone with his friend and mentor were most informative, with Dorian quickly mastering an understanding of the female mind and body. Lady Helena insisted that each time had been but a drunken mistake and would not be repeated again—until the next time. And in each instance, on the following morning, Dorian would rise and seek a sort of purification and atonement spent in innocence, simplicity, and playfulness with the wolf pup and Sage at her art studio. The two would converse for long hours on all manner of subjects—including Lady Helena's past.