Chapter 5 - Juliet Part 2

"She appeared to be near seventeen years of age, but looked like a vision from the Greek tragedies. With plaited coils of dark luscious hair, lips like the petals of a rose, and large, deep eyes that contained all the delight of her passion. She was the loveliest girl I have ever seen in all my life. Then she spoke. I have never heard such a voice before. It seemed she was instantly Juliet. From deep tones to flute-like music like the lark, she spoke and sang her parts with an excitement that stirred the whole audience. She concluded to thunderous applause and I could barely contain my own appreciation."

Dorian paused again and closed his eyes. "When I close my eyes now, I can still hear her and picture her. The owner brought me back after the show to meet her. I remember I could hardly form a coherent sentence when first speaking to her. I was so enraptured by her beauty and presence."

"That doesn't sound like the Mr. Gray I know."

"Yes, I was quite flummoxed while we conversed. She asked me how I liked her rendition of Juliet and I could only stammer out my appreciation. Fortunately, she was very gracious and I was able to recover as we discussed the arts and various playwrights. I invited her to dine with me at the club but she refused, claiming that her mother expected her home promptly. I was quite bewildered and didn't know what to say next, until she said that she hoped I would come and see her again the next night. Of course, I agreed fervently."

Lady Helena was barely able to conceal her exaggerated eye-rolling as Dorian continued his tale.

"Every night since, for two weeks, I have been there to see her performances. One night she is Rosalind, the next Imogen. What an actress she is Lady Helena! She is innocent and glamorous, mysterious and transfiguring. I love her with all my heart. I love her!"

"Well this Sibyl Vane sounds quite charming. Do tell me what your relations with the young girl are?"

A deep flush returned to Dorian's face and he was immediately outraged. "Lady Helena, that is quite private but I assure you she is sacred to me."

"Only the sacred things are worth touching. She will be yours one day."

"Oh, you are incorrigible. Perhaps it was the champagne, but I knew from the first night that I must get to know her more intimately. The owner wasted no time in regularly insisting I be brought backstage after the performance and introduced to all of the other actors. I do believe he hoped to recruit me as a benefactor for their troupe. Every time afterwards when we met, she was shy and gentle, and whenever I complemented her performance for the evening, her eyes would grow wide with wonder. She really has no notion of the power she holds over us all. Despite my assurances to the contrary, the owner kept referring to me as 'My Lord'. I assured Sibyl I was nothing of the sort. 'You look more like a prince. Prince Charming I will call you,' she said."

"Ah, she is smooth with her compliments."

"No, she was perfectly sincere. She is quite ignorant of the world and really knows nothing of life. She lives with her faded old mother who once also was an actress in her younger days. Sibyl is quite divine though. I am forever longing to see her. That delightful talent hidden in that pretty, ivory body. You and Sage must come with me to see her. I shall find a way to take over her career and bring her out properly at the West End theatre. Then the whole world will come to love her as I do."

"Very well. Sage and I will join you at the eight o'clock show next week. But shouldn't you be the one to extend the invitation to dear Sage?"

"I have not laid eyes on her for a week. She even sent me the portrait she painted adorned in the most wonderfully designed frame. I feel quite horrid for ignoring her and the wolf so. He has grown much larger now and dominates the room with his wild and intelligent manner. Sage is really quite proud of how the animal has grown. Please extend my invitation to her tomorrow. I can't see her alone right now, she does say the most annoying things and gives me the most trying of advice."

"Sage puts all of her brilliance and charm into her work. As a consequence of her art, she has nothing of it left for her own life. For an artist must either be amazing in their work or in their pursuit of life, but it can never be both."

"I wonder if that is really so? It must be, if you say it. But I must be off. Do not forget about next week. Good-afternoon."

As Lady Helena was left alone with her thoughts, she was not jealous in the least, but pleased by the progress Dorian had made in becoming more self-aware and open to all of the wonderful pleasures that the world had to offer. Even this silly infatuation with the young Sibyl was a vital part of his development. Men give the name of experience and wisdom to the mistakes that they inevitably make in life which are wholly necessary in forming their character. Yes, the lad was growing into quite the striking man and more fully coming into his own.