Chapter 9 - The Wolf Part 2

The small, fallow fawn had wandered into a clearing deep in the forest. Its coat was chestnut with pale spots that ended in a white tale with a black stripe. It was only a few weeks old, but already the large eyes were cautious as it moved around on unsteady feet.

The wolf gradually stalked his prey, remaining completely unnoticed at first. While repeatedly tasting the air, the slim animal finally sensed the danger. The scent of the young fawn grew thick with fear. The wolf savored the anticipation, the energy of a young fawn's life, and relished the moment when he finally leapt out and into the view of the budding fawn. It shook in terror and turned to run. It was all too easy for the wolf to overtake the young animal and enthusiastically sink his sharp teeth into her slender neck. With a twist of his jaws he broke the neck. As the hot blood rushed into his mouth, the wolf sank to the forest floor and began to devour his kill.

Several days passed as the wolf explored his growing territory. There was no competition for prey here, nor threat from any other large predators. Live food was a vast improvement over the cold, dull cutlets the wolf was used to receiving. He would never go back to that.

The next hunt brought the wolf upon a juvenile Red deer that was grazing peacefully in a pristine field. The hind was much larger. It was close to two hundred centimeters in length and weighing near one hundred and fifty kilograms. Her hide was a reddish hue and she had a long tail. The doe was really quite beautiful as she grazed daintily among tall grasses and bushes. The wolf's pulse quickened at her scent, and his mouth salivated when he caught sight of the delicate neck.

This time the hunt involved a great deal more sneaking and hiding behind shrubs and bushes. The adult female was much more observant and experienced. She caught wind of the attack much sooner which resulted in a large amount of running through the dark woods. This, too, was a new and exciting form of danger for the wolf. He toyed with his prey, closing in on her and then falling back to give the illusion of hope for escape. For what seemed like hours, he pursued the doe and then drew back. It was a dance between two lovers in the night, a most delicious game.

At last, as the doe's heart began hammering to the point of ripping out of her chest, she became cornered against a massive cave wall. Though she was frantic with the need to escape, the wolf blocked her path to freedom and descended slowly. He was careful so as not to lose the opportunity to strike. He lashed out with sharp claws and greedy fangs, tasting her hot blood. Again and again he struck, prolonging the moment of the kill. At last, he used his sharp teeth to hamstring the animal. He leaped upon her back and used his weight to drive the thrashing animal to the ground. She was no longer able to run. He began devouring her while she was still alive at his feet.

The wolf grew bolder and increasingly unafraid of his surroundings. He was less wary of man, and more confident than ever in his newfound abilities. All of the night was his domain. He was king of the trees and the fields and the rivers. He even dared to enter the forbidden areas at the edges of the forest. There he stole unsuspecting young chickens and unwary female calves from the pathetic defenses and not-so-watchful eyes of their human protectors.

Dorian too, grew bolder in his exploration of the pleasures of the world. He became enamored with the thrill of his own hunt. It was not uncommon, to see him entertaining a different young lady every night. His territory was the various theatres and balls thrown across town. At any dinner party, he was always the center of attention for the young ladies. He charmed them easily with his exceptional looks and meticulous style. His growing popularity could be attributed to his unending confidence, mischievous wit, and copious wealth. He was playful and debonair, gallant and wicked—and the women loved him for it.

At a particularly large gala in the city, Lady Helena was introduced to not one—but two entirely different young ladies. Both were clearly infatuated with Mr. Gray's charming good looks, gaudy and stylish displays of fortune, and blossoming popularity in society. They were both quite nubile and voluptuous.

The first was a comely blonde of some good standing. Her lips were full and pink, with startling blue eyes and a generous bust. She caught the attention of every young gentleman in attendance.

The second was a winsome brunette with the dark, deep eyes of a doe. She was visiting her family from their country estate and had developed her own following of admirers. She was the very image of feminine perfection, with perfectly proportioned curves and long, slender legs.

To Lady Helena however, they were too similar to tell apart. They even wore a similar shade of pink evening dress that was currently in favor. Neither of the long gowns left much to the imagination, given the tight fit and plunging necklines.

The evening became increasingly dangerous. Dorian would spend a few moments drinking a cocktail with one at the bar, then move near the dance floor and begin laughing audaciously with the other. He would carry on the conversation with that one for a few moments before switching back. It became clear that both girls thought themselves wholly the sole target of his affections. They were completely oblivious as Dorian repeatedly excused himself for one reason or another—in the most polite manner, of course. Both girls remained ignorant to the whispers and stares as Dorian whisked them in-turn across the elongated dance floor, in perfect time to the tune of the orchestra.

Lady Helena was amazed how ignorant the two were to the entire charade. Instead of seeing what was happening, the girls busied themselves by basking in the attention of the crowd. They misinterpreted the scrutiny as appreciation and jealousy. Lady Helena thought it all a tremendous comedy. She was quite accommodating in drawing one of them away as Dorian danced and flirted with the other.

Even the smirk on Lady Helena's face did not clue them into the other girl's presence until, at last, Dorian became increasingly bold and reckless for he was delighted to see what would happen, and how far he could push the envelope during the course of the evening. Finally, the blonde caught site of Dorian stealing a kiss from the brunette and stormed across the dance floor to pull him aside and express her outrage.

She had a genuine look of hurt in her dazzling eyes, as she dumped what remained of her drink on Dorian's waistcoat. "How could you?"

Without any regard to his dampened attire, he lied smoothly and convincingly in response. "My dear, it is nothing. A mere dalliance and an effect of the wine, I assure you. Come, let me take you home and make it up to you."

She almost fell for the ploy. The promise of winning such a prize as Dorian Gray nearly overruling her better judgment. The conflict could be seen playing out behind her stunning blue eyes. The prospect was tempting, but she had suffered too much shame that evening. Her pride compelled her to storm out of the room. She paused briefly with a backward glance and a warning for the brunette—delivered with pouty and moistened lips. "You would do well to find better company, and acquaint yourself with a real gentleman rather than this philanderer. I didn't believe the rumors about him, but now I see that they are altogether true. You would be wise to take heed of them as well."

The vivacious brunette had the gleam of victory in her glittering eyes. She was certain that this rejected competitor was merely jealous of her beauty and the warning was disregarded as bitterness from such a stinging loss. Perhaps she had indulged in too much wine as well, for she thought the result her good fortune. She offered no resistance, as Dorian escorted her out of the hall and into a waiting hansom.

The entire scene was quickly recounted, time and time again, and the rumor of it spread like wildfire among the social elites. The tale only served to add to the mystery and notoriety already being spread about the remarkable Dorian Gray.