I Choose You

L e o ' s P o V

***

"Charmander....I choose you," I muttered, swiping my finger up my phone screen. This action sent a poké ball flying towards my desired starter. One shake, two, three. Gotcha! I smiled in victory. This was just the first step into my long journey ahead. I was gonna be the very best. I was born for this moment.

"Leo! Are you still here!? If you are, please get out of my house!" My mother snapped me out of my daydream of becoming a pokémon master, and I groaned in distaste. I locked my phone, causing Pokémon Go to be put on hold for just a little while longer. It was July 6th; the day Pokemon Go has been released in America.

I've been waiting years for this, but apparently packing up my childhood room into boxes so I could move into my own apartment was more important. Needless to say, my mom was very ecstatic to hear I was moving out. She wanted me gone as soon as possible. I grabbed my last box and headed down the steps, outside, and placed it in my car. My mom stood in the door way, leaning against the door frame.

"So, this is it, huh?" I asked solemnly. I knew she wouldn't let me back inside that house for quite some time. She rolled her eyes at me.

"Quit being so dramatic. I'm sure you'll be here tomorrow with some lame excuse to see me." I chuckled, knowing she was absolutely right.

"Love you, mom. I'll see you soon. Don't miss me too much, yeah?" She scoffed and waved me off as she disappeared inside the house, closing the door behind her. I grinned and got in my car, started it up, and drove to my new home.

***

After many hours, I had finished moving and unpacking my boxes into the apartment. Of course, I didn't do it alone. I had my very own best friend, now my roommate, help. The two of us plopped down on the couch, utterly exhausted.

"You got it, right?" Trevor asked after a few moments of us catching our breaths. I glanced at him, wondering what he was talking about. At my lack of response, he huffed, shaking is head at me like I was a huge disappointment. I wouldn't tell him he was wrong. My mom told me that once. I'm sure she was joking, though.

"Pokemon Go. You downloaded it?" At the mention of the game, I sprang to my feet and whipped my phone out.

"Shit! I almost forgot. Of course I got it!" I exclaimed. Trevor took out his own smart phone and got up to stand by me. We held out our phones, comparing our starters and characters.

"Bulbasaur, huh?" I judged with an eyebrow raised. He rolled his eyes and gave me a little shove.

"Coming from the man that named his character, 'GayForAshKetchum24'." I smiled sheepishly and shrugged my shoulders. I wasn't going to deny he was my hero and at least a little bit attractive for a 10 year old anime character. Plus, the older version of him in the XY series really got me going.

"You want to go for a walk? Get our journey underway?" I asked in a hopeful tone. My body felt like it was rejuvenated when I remembered the importance of today.

"Two socially awkward, grown men, going on a walk through the streets of Minnesota to catch pokémon... Let's do it!" he cheered excitedly. I fist pumped the air and hurriedly went over to put my shoes on and then grabbed the house key. I was thankful that we lived closer to town. We were nearby to dozens of poke stops and gyms. We should have no problem getting better pokémon than most places.