The Return

The Promise

"I'm back" John commented as he walked forwards and tapped the frosted marble headstone.

It had been just over 9 months since the death of famous Consulting Detective Sherlock Holmes - and best friend of Doctor John Watson. Every other day, John would trek his way down to the oh-so-creepy graveyard that help the one thing John wished it didn't: Sherlock Holmes' body.

"It's going to be an interesting day without you, Sherlock." The doctor's voice quivered. Whether it was due to the chill in the air or to the thought of spending Christmas without Mr Holmes, John was unsure.

"Molly and Greg will be coming round later to celebrate with myself and Mrs Hudson. Did I mention that they are now together? It's quite sweet really." The doctor sat down cross-legged in front of the headstone, preparing himself to tell a story. "Molly was with this other guy -Tom I think his name was. She spent months trying to move on from you, and she 'finally did it'. Thing is, Tom's appearance was much the same as yours; scarf, same shoes, always wore a suit. He even wore the same coat as you!" John chuckled at the similarities. "She did try though. But a couple of months ago their relationship went awry. It turns out that Tom was actually closet gay. Though, if you were there you'd have deduced it from the minute he walked through the door. But anyway, Molly was devastated, bless her heart, and Greg happened to be the one who cheered her up...and it all went on from there really!" The army doctor smiled to himself, before his expression became cold and pained.

"It's going to be odd, Christmas without you." Tears came to his eyes but pushed the away with a humorous memory for the previous Christmas. "Do you remember what happened last year? For a genius, I can't believe how thick you were. How did you not realise that Molly Hooper - of all people - had a huge crush on you? I must admit though, I was proud of you; for apologising. But that was after you realised the gift was in fact for you...and after you offended the poor girl" John thought for a moment, and then chuckled when he recalled the memory of their friends reaction to Miss Hooper's dress. "Remember Greg? He couldn't keep his eyes off her! I wonder if he realised that he had his mouth hanging open."

John chatted to Sherlock's gravestone for another thirty minutes or so, before he realised that everyone would be coming round in just under an hour. He carefully stood up and brushed his trousers off with gloved hands.

"Oh, these are for you. Merry Christmas, Sherlock." The doctor took a deep breath before saying his next sentence.

"I-I wish...I wish you were here." John placed a bouquet of yellow roses on the ground as a tear trickled down his frozen cheeks. He let it flow freely, which was a cue for many other tears to come rolling out of the doctors eyes. He managed to get a hold of himself enough to force a smile. He then turned around and strolled out the graveyard; heading home.

***

Sherlock stepped out from behind the tree overlooking his own grave and bent down to pick up the bouquet of yellow roses his friend had left him.

He then noticed a small note written on golden card:

Sherlock,

Merry Christmas,

Missing you greatly,

With love, John x

The detective smiled sadly, and reached up to wipe away a silent tear.

***

"Thanks for coming guys, Merry Christmas!" John showed Molly and Greg out of the flat, but before he shut the door he grabbed the detective inspector's sleeve.

"Don't forget the 12 o'clock rule, mate" John winked and Greg blushed.

Moments later, John strolled into the now deserted flat. Suddenly, Mrs Hudson popped her head out from behind the doorway to the used-to-be-shared flat.