His Last Chance

"My brother...is a murderer."

***

Sherlock patiently stood beside his disappointed brother as they waited for one of Mycroft's cars to pull up in front of the readied private jet. Angst and pain welled up inside the Consulting Detective as the men waited for his best friend to arrive. After a few more minutes, a slick black car rolled up beside the plane. Once the car had safely stopped, John and Mary Watson jumped out. Mary closed her side-of-the-car door shut and hurriedly scuttled over to the detective.

"You will take care of him for me won't you?" Sherlock smiled, making the doctor's wife smile back.

Mary laced her arms around his neck and he kissed her cheek. She kissed his cheek back and said "Don't worry; I'll keep him in trouble." The detective smiled at this suggestion and let go of her. "That's my girl."

Mary smiled back at Sherlock and walked over to join her husband, who then smiled and nodded at his best friend. Sherlock then turned towards his brother. "Since this is likely to be the last conversation I'll have with John Watson, would you mind if we took a moment?" Mycroft Holmes looked at his brother suspiciously, but raised his eyebrows after realising what he was about to do. Everyone, other than John and Sherlock, joined together beside the plane - out of ears reach.

John wandered over to his best friend, looked up at him and smiled. "So, here we are." The ex-army doctor cleared his throat as sadness flooded through his body. It felt as though he'd only just got him back, which really was the case.

"William Sherlock Scott Holmes"

"Sorry?" Sherlock's sudden quote took John by surprise.

"That's the whole of it...if you were looking for baby names."

John laughed at the detective's suggestion and decided to tell him the news. "No, we've had a scan. We're pretty sure it's a girl."

"Oh...ok" Sherlock smiled at the news but chose not to say anything else.

The two men looked away from each other and began to take in that, yet again, they may never see each other again.

All Sherlock felt was guilt and pain. Guilt that he had again ruined his friendship with John for the billionth time; and pain as he would be leaving the man he loved again - but this time... it would be for good.

John then interrupted the silence.

"Yeah...you know, I can't think of anything to say..."

"No, neither can I..." Liar.

"The game is over." Sherlock was taken aback by his friend's statement.

"The game is never over, John. There may be some new players now, but that's okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end. "

John looked up at the detective, confused. "What's that?"

"It's a story my brother told me when we were kids" Sherlock reminisced. "The East Wind is a terrifying force that lays waste all in its path. Seeks out the unworthy and plucks them from the Earth - that was generally me."

"Nice..."

"He was a rubbish big brother."

Another awkward silence came upon to two as they strained to think of something to say.

John cleared his throat before finally saying, "So what about you then? Where you actually going now?"

Sherlock inhaled sharply.

"Ohhh, some undercover work in Eastern-Europe."

"For how long?"

"6 moths, my brother estimates. He's never wrong."