Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Mitchie's POV

“A shifter?! A god damn shifter!” Derek growled as he paced in the opposite direction of Craig’s own pacing, angrily squeezing his fists together and apart.

“I heard about there being other types of magical creatures in the pack, but I just presumed it would be something like a witch, and they’d never once been in any of the pack grounds.” Nate said as he faced the window, the light of the setting sun bringing out full force the angry and dazed expression on his face.

“I should have been there! I knew I shouldn’t have let you run on your own, everything was telling me something fishy was going on,” Craig mumbled ferociously.

“You still haven’t told us what actually happened, Michelley.” Tom said as he put his arm around my shoulder and stroked my hair gently.

I smiled slightly at his use of Craig’s nickname for me, and I didn’t mind it at all as he was my cousin’s mate. I was also a little amused about the way they were all mumbling and growling to themselves.

But I was mostly still seeing the sight of my mother’s face twisted into that demented sneer as the shifter leered at me as its last blow.

Craig abruptly stopped and bumped into Derek who in result stopped too.

He stared at me in such horror that in turn Tom’s body became rigid, Derek began to start toward me and Nate looked at me sympathetically whilst his eyes tried to glean some answers from me.

“You know that power of yours is beginning to bug me,” I said quietly as I got up and walked toward the other small window in the equally small motel room that we had rented for the night.

Yes, I had kept it a secret and my subconscious must have somehow shielded my mind further with whatever it was that clouded it anyway. But after nearly two years of travelling with these four, it was best to keep quiet about my troubles and worries as much as I could before they found themselves as they were extremely over-protective.

But from the expressions on their faces, and my wolf’s insistent nagging yips, I yielded.

“Mitchie?” Derek asked just as quietly as I put my now clean hands on the pane of the window, the slight tremor in them the only indication that I was still in shock.

“I…” I sighed, as I scrunched my eyes up and turned my head away from their direction even though they could only see my facial expression on the reflection off the glass. “I saw…The shifter, it…”

I heard footsteps before Craig put his hands on my shoulders as he leant his head against mine. “The shifter, after attacking her, shifted into her mother.”

It was like Craig and I were the only ones in the room; it had become that quiet, as even their breathing had stopped.

“That’s…that’s not possible.” Nate said as he took up the pacing the other two had vacated for imitating statues. “Shifters can only shift into what they want by studying images and researching into their being. The only people who would know…”

His words drifted off as the dots clicked further in his head.

But I decided I needed to finish his sentence for him.

“Family.” I answered, my tone sounding dead even to me. “Only family would have been able to give the information the shifter would have needed.”

Rain began pelting down, and the sound of the drops hitting against the glass ricocheted around the room making the atmosphere inside this small hell hole that much more unbearable.