10. #Crushed

«Arabella»

Hailey's mom was attacked last night - drugged by none other than our own protagonist.

Sean was coincidentally there, which I find a little iffy if I do say so myself.

Her mother was taken to the hospital and Hailey was questioned a lot more now that the reason behind her mom's unconsciousness is connected to the video played at the rally.

At the moment, I sit with Hailey and Rowan on the back porch of my house, a blanket covering our legs as we quietly drink our mugs of coffee I had just brewed.

My mom isn't talking to me at the moment, too 'fed up' with my shenanigans to even have a decent talk with me. I guess she's just disappointed above it all. Though it confused me as to how my mom was taking it harder than my dad, even though I really wouldn't know being that we haven't talked either.

I shift my cup in my hands as Hailey, Rowan and I all watch the sunrise you can see so clearly from the backyard, being that my house was along a hill-like plantation.

"How's your mom?" Rowan softly asks Hailey, her eyes stayed caring downward.

"She's sleeping now... They had to pump her stomach... I bet she thinks I did it this time," Hailey frowns, and so do I. "I'm scared. He could've really hurt her - killed her, even. And I did it to her so many times before."

"Why?"

"No one else has to turn their phone in at nine every night; and she'd take my computer away, I just... I feel so disconnected- you know? Like I was missing out on something."

My thoughts pondered to what it'd be like if my parents were to take my phone and laptop away every night. Horrid.

"And it would just make me so stressed, like- just absolutely crazy with anxiety," Hailey concludes.

"It shows she cares," I absentmindedly point out, shoving aside my personal opinion on it.

The three of us are silent, and Rowan takes this up as an opportunity to bring up her own crisis.

"I totally messed up with Jake."

I flatten my lips out at that one. Jake had paid her a visit the night before and her father arrested him right after Rowan claimed to not know 'who he even is'.

"I-I don't know what to do. I was worried he would get in more trouble if I said that I knew him... I have to get him out."

"How?" Hailey mumbles.

"By figuring out who MonkeyMan is..."

"Well he left you a big ass clue last night... Why roses?" I point out, referring to the fact that her bedroom was covered from head to toe in roses and violets.

"I don't know. Roses and violets..." she sighs. "Red and blue... aren't those our school's colors?" Nobody replies. "Are we still gonna be able to go out tonight? I really think we should all be together."

"My aunt's staying home with my mom. She'll never have a clue," Hailey confirms.

"Have you guys spoken to Elisia?" I ask.

Hailey nods and then lets out a scoff. "Nothing. She's pissed about you and Jake," she turns to Rowan.

"I kept telling everyone to be honest... and I'm the biggest liar of them all," Rowan purses her lips.

Hailey pulls out her phone and I catch a glance at the clock from MonkeyMan's anonymous page.

"Twelve hours left," Hailey recites. "I was thinking - a bunch of guys auditioned for Romeo last fall. What if MonkeyMan auditioned and didn't get the part?"