Chapter 4

Hi everybody!!! I am back and at it with a new chapter for you all! I am so excited for you guys to see what I have planned and in store for all of you. It is going to be so much fun and this really is just the tip of the iceberg. So, get ready! Also, I am thinking about starting an Instagram account for my books where I would post excerpts from my books, edits, daily updates about my life as a writer and updates about when chapters will be up next and such. Please, please, PLEASE, comment below if that is something you would like to see! Thank you so much for your help. Now onto the story. I hope you enjoy! I love you bunches & bunches! -Hannah <3

*****************************

CHAPTER 4: The sun was what woke Layla, a warm kiss against the exposed skin between her shoulder-blades.

Groaning, she flipped onto her back and stared up at the ceiling, making shapes out of the plaster as her mind wondered what she would find to do that day.

She hadn't slept really at all the night before-her mind plagued with memories-apparitions of evil-and her mind repeating softly spoken venomous words.

'Stay away from me...' Frank had said.

She had scoured her mind for possibilities of what she had done to make him hate her so much, but found nothing and because of that the disastrous cruel whispers had ramped up in her mind, all in a voice that sounded a lot like Mason's had.

The voice spoke of many things-all things that wanted to see her curl into a ball and weep.

Why would he want you when you are broken?

Why would anyone want you?

He is disgusted by you.

He sees what a pitiful, pathetic excuse for a human you are.

He knows that you should be the one that is dead.

It never seemed to stop and her heart cried out at the salt water that washed over the many wounds that decorated her soul.

She couldn't sit here and do nothing, which is what she had been doing for the past many months, holed up in her house and bed. No.

She needed to do something to distract her mind from the many things running throughout it, needed to distract herself from the sharp burning pain she felt at the very core of her and the shame she felt along with it.

The demons and shadows that always loomed over her were waiting for that perfect moment to see that she was struggling to stay afloat so that they could go in and drag her down under.

Sitting up, Layla swung her legs over the edge of the bed-feeling the cool press of air against her exposed legs and midriff.

She shivered and grabbed a robe to pull on before creeping out into the kitchen to begin making herself a pot of coffee.

While that brewed she wandered over to the window to look down at the streets bathed in the glow of a bright sun. Blue birds and robins sat perched atop a large and willowy oak branch, chirping their morning duet as they fluffed their wings. Bicycle bells dinged while the sound of the mail man's van churning up the side of the road reached her mixed with the merriment child laughter as they raced off to school, big backpacks thumping against their small backs.

Ah, to be a child again, Layla mused with a soft and sad smile.

To have the veil of innocence draped over you like a gauzy white embrace smelling of happiness and flowers. To not know of the evil and maliciousness that lurked in the ever-deepening shadows just out of sight-hidden by that same beautiful veil.