Chapter 8

Hi everybody! I am back! I hope you guys are having a wonderful day! So, a couple things is would you guys like me to upload another older book so you guys can have that to read while I update Counting Sheep? I will be trying to update around every 3 days at the most, and I hope it will work out but its hard to tell with my health and how it can go from bad to good at the drop of a hat. So, just let me know what you think. I will be uploading a new chapter soon! I'm working on it now. I love you all! XOXOX -Hannah <3

********************************

CHAPTER 8: Layla woke stiff, aching and beyond sore. Her entire body ached and pulsed with pain. She felt like shit and she was sure that she looked the same way. As she came to, she didn't wonder where she was because she already knew.

How could she not?

Just knowing that she and Frank had been beside each other mere feet away made her tummy flutter with uncontrollable nerves.

She was surprised she had been able to even fall asleep, but she had swiftly and easily—her worries soothed by Frank's presence like a medicine balm yet to be shown to the world. That was when she realized something else.

She hadn't had any nightmares.

Layla frowned, chewing on her lip as she debated that. With what had happened with Mason, Frank should terrify her, but she found it was the exact opposite.

He made her feel safe and protected—something she hadn't felt in a while and she had to admit, it was wonderful.

No, it was fucking great.

Still, she knew Frank was bad for her.

She knew that if she continued to think of him as her savior-it would soon be her downfall and it would result in her heartbroken. She wasn't sure she could survive something like that again.

She barely had enough pieces of her heart left after Mason and she knew if her heart broke again, it would be unsalvageable.

Shaking her head firmly, Layla pushed the thoughts away-letting herself feel the pain of her injuries from the night before like a good kick to the senses.

She snorted inwardly.

No pun intended. Forcing herself into a sitting position, Layla grimaced with pain.

God, her ribs hurt.

Every intake of air felt like a hot knife, but she still forced herself up and moving. The small bundle of white fur curled up at the hollow of her knees made her smile, then winced as her busted lip gave a throb.

It was only then did she notice she couldn't feel the presence of Frank anymore. Brow furrowing, she leaned over the side of the bed, trying not to cry out as the pain in her body flared. Gone. The blankets were rumpled and Frank was gone.

For a moment, she let herself worry and wonder where he was, but then she forced herself to push it out of her head. He had probably gone to run some errands or to go work out. Which he so obviously did, Layla thought with a girlish giggle.

Then, she sobered.

Whether she wanted to admit it or not, Frank had saved her life. Just another experience to add to the list. He did always seem to be around at the exact moments when she was at her worst. She needed to do something to thank him.

Looking at the clock above the stove, she found that it was almost 9am and she decided to make him breakfast. It didn't look like he got to have those often, so he may appreciate it.

Plus, cooking always helped take her mind off of things.

Pulling her hair up into a bun atop the crown of her head, Layla walked to the kitchen and pulled open the curtains above the sink so that sunlight streamed in.