Chapter 20

Hello everyone! Hello, hello! I am baaaack! I've got a new chapter for you! I don't even know how I was able to whip up this chapter for you because let me just tell you the past week has been a NIGHTMARE and has been BEYOND busy! And on top of it, I've felt uber crappy and exhausted. But, hey! IT IS HERE! I really hope you guys enjoy this! I am going to California again sooo that means that hopefully I will be able to write a LOT more! *fingers crossed* Also, this chapter is longer for you guys. You have all been so amazing and so patient and I still cant believe how lucky I am to have EACH. ONE. OF. YOU. Anyways, enough chattin', more reading. I hope you enjoy! I love you. XOXO -Hannah <3

*************************

CHAPTER 20: Layla woke slowly, her hair rustling as she turned her head and breathed in the morning air. Eyes fluttering open, she expected to see Hazel asleep besides her but found the bed empty.

Her heart immediately picked up to a furious gallop as she shot up into a sitting position. Panic was threatening to overcome her, but just then her eyes found the little girl.

Layla's body practically deflated with the great relief that flooded her system. Running a hand through her messy hair, Layla opened her eyes and watched the little girl for a moment, taking in where she was standing and what she was doing.

She kneeled on the small nightstand that she had pushed under the window so that she could see out and vaguely, Layla wondered how the sound of the small table being moved hadn't woke her. Seemed like taking care of Julian last night along with all the worry and emotional turmoil had exhausted her far more than she had originally thought.

Hazel was still in her nightgown, watching out and scanning outside of the window that viewed the surrounding trees, hills and boulders. The bottom of it was cracked ever so slightly and the sound of birds chirping their morning melody filtered in while the sun kissed the horizon as the world awoke.

As she saw this, Layla couldn't help but take notice of the tight grip the little girl held onto the windowsill. Her wide eyes glanced back and forth anxiously, taking everything in, and it was only then did Layla realize with a hurting heart, that she was watching out for someone as if to make sure nobody entered the cabin without knowing.

She was scared.

Still scared because of the monster that murdered her mother in front of her. Layla knew what it was like to watch someone die, but watching someone be killed—murdered, was much different.

Your soul, heart and mind are permanently tainted with the atrocities and evils that are witnessed.

Layla hated that Hazel had to deal with that when even most adults don't have to. Yet she does. This sweet, innocent little girl.

Feeling tears threatening, Layla sucked in a deep breath of air. "Hazel, sweetie,"

The little girl's head moved to look at where Layla lay.

She patted the spot in the bed next to her. "Come here, honey."

Immediately, Hazel lowered herself down from her tip-toes and pattered back to the bed, the cat who had been sitting on the floor only inches away following close behind as the little girl used her arms and legs to make the treacherous climb back onto the high-up bed.

Layla reached out her arms to help and then pulled the girl close.

Hazel nuzzled her small nose into the skin of Layla's neck and sighed, a soft sound that Layla cherished as she stroked the girl's messy strawberry blonde curls.

"How did you sleep, sweetie?" While Layla knew that Hazel couldn't speak, she liked talking to her and she knew that it made the girl feel comfortable—feel normal despite having an abnormal life at the moment.