4

Cause I know I don't understand
Just how your love can do what no-one else can

Sofia Karlberg / Crazy In Love

//

For Ella, going back to school was hard. She'd never had so much fun at Christmas before, except maybe when she was a child.

She guessed it made sense.

Going back, things weren't really any different; she just knew a few extra people. That didn't affect anything directly, apart from hi's and how-are-you's in the corridor.

On the other hand, she and George had gotten closer again. Maybe the visit to his parents had filled up the little distance, or maybe it was the promise ring, but they met up everyday to eat, study hang out, whatever. She was just glad they'd gotten closer again.

It probably was the promise ring, thinking about it. She didn't know that something so small would change a lot, but it had. Ella was shocked to see it, even now. She wore it on a chain around her neck due to school rules; she didn't want it confiscated (not that anyone would notice). In fact, Ella actually only took it off for showers. For some reason, George found this hilarious, Ella was 100% sure what he did with his, but if he wore it, he'd probably lose it.

Knowing George, he'd probably already lost it.

In school, Ella was now spending any free time studying; their NEWT exams were getting a lot closer than she wanted them to. However, she was excited to leave school too. School was not her favourite thing ever, but she put up with it. Ella was more excited to get outside, and work, and wear what she wanted, and not have to worry about exams, and just do what she wanted.

She was also excited about her future with George.

It actually happened to be something the two of them talked about a lot, recently. Children, houses, jobs, all that jazz. It seemed they both knew what to do- in late January, George came to Ella at breakfast with some news. 
"Fred and I are leaving early," he whispered. Ella choked on her bagel. 
"What, do you mean, leaving early?" she asked, although she knew exactly what. 
"School. We've decided we don't really need qualifications if we're running our own business." Ella stared at him. 
"But-" 
"But what? We'll go after Easter; you and Charlotte don't have your exams that much later on. We'll be fine." 
"But what if you need a plan b?" 
"We won't." 
"But, what-" 
"Ella, are you objecting my life choices?" Ella stayed silent for a minute. "I thought you'd understand," he said.
"I get that you want to get started, but I think that getting your NEWTs are just as important, too. You may need them."
"Ella. Seriously. We're going to be fine." Ella took a deep breath. She now had a long list of things that could go wrong in her head, but she didn't mention them. Sometimes, she was too realistic.
"I love you, George. Just be careful out there. People would do you over inside a minute. Believe me."