Chapter 6

Nyle

All eyes are on me. I cast my eyes to the floor. I am mortified that they found out my secret. My breathing is hard my chest feels heavy. My mother comes and hugs me.

"I am going home." Mom signs.

"Stay and eat Donna." Gilbert signs.

"No thanks. I need time to process everything that has happened." She signs.

"I am sorry Mom." I sign getting choked up.

"It's not your fault my love." She signs. I nod at her. She turns to Selena. "Thank you for fighting for him."

"Of course." Selena signs.

I walk mom to the front door. My mind is all over the place. She turns to me and hugs and kisses all over my face like she used to do when I was a little boy. A tear falls from my eye and she wipes it away quickly.

"I love you Mommy."

"I love you more." She leaves and I turn around and see Gilbert. He grabs me in a huge hug.

"I am so sorry that you had to deal with all of that." I sign.

"No, Nyle you are my best friend. I wish that you never had to go through that alone." He signs.

"I'll be ok." I sign. Selena pops her head around the corner and she smiles sweetly at me. It makes my heart beat faster.

"Food is ready. Are you hungry?" She signs at the both of us but only looks at me.

"I am starved." I sign. We head in to the dining room. Charlie is already sitting down with his food but he is waiting for us to get started. I smile at him and he nods at me.

"Go sit down Nyle." Selena signs. It is hard for me to sit down because of the pain. Selena runs off and comes back with a pillow. She places the pillow on the back of the chair and adjusts me to it. "Better?"

"Much." I wink at her and she blushes. She leaves the room and comes back with two plates of food. She places one of the plates in front of me along with a white rice drink. "Thank you." She nods at me. She takes her own plate and sits directly in front of me.

" I hope that you like it." She signs.

I take a bite of the enchiladas and they are out of this world delicious. I try the rice and beans this has to be one of the best homemade meals I have had in a while.

"This is amazing." I sign to her.

"Thank you." She is blushing again. It makes my heart pitter patter.

"Gilbert I thought your roommate was a guy?" I sign.

"I never told you that. I guess it never came up." He signs

"I am definitely not a guy." Selena signs and laughs.

"That you are not." I smile. Charlie is looking at our interaction and smiles.

The rest of the meal we have a great time. I loved the chocolate mousse it was heavenly. I am really impressed by Selena she is amazing. I try to teach Charlie some easy signs but he is not catching on. It makes me laugh. I am starting to feel tired and in a bit of pain. It does not go unnoticed by Selena. She leaves the table and comes back with a bottle of pills. She takes two pills out of the bottle and places them next to my plate.

"These are your pain pills. Your mom gave them to me." She signs.

"Thank you Selena."

"Dr. Jordan said that you can take a shower. Would you like to take a shower now." She signs.

"With you?" I sign and stick out my tongue.

"Nyle!" She signs and laughs. Charlie is laughing because Gilbert just told him what I said to Selena.

"Guys I am sitting right here!" Gilbert signs and rolls his eyes.

"I am only joking." I sign. "A shower sounds good right now." I stand up gingerly. Selena is already in the bathroom.

She turns to me and smiles. I notice a fluffy towel on the counter. She turns the nob on the shower. She takes something out of the bag they gave me at the hospital.

"Nyle put this on your incision. It's a water proof bandage. Take it off after." She signs.

"Ok. You sure you don't want to join me?"

"You are so bad." She laughs. " I am going to bed. Good night Nyle. If you need anything let me know." She begins to walk away and I grab her back.

"Thank you Selena." I sign as I hug her. I caress her cheek and she leans into my touch. She pulls away and kisses my cheek.

"Shower Nyle." She signs shaking her head.

I jump in the shower and it feels amazing. I take time and shampoo my hair. I am thinking about everything that has happened tonight. I mostly feel relieved that I do not have to face this alone. I have Mama, Gilbert and now even Selena.

I wrap the towel around my waist and look in the mirror. There is still some redness on my face. I take the pills that Selena gave me. I put on my pajama bottoms and unlock Selena's side of the door. I open it and she is sleeping peacefully. Man she is a beauty. I go to my room and lay down. I am exhausted but my mind will not shut off. I always told myself that I would never be like my dad who abused my mother. I know that I am not like dad but it dawns on me that I am victim of abuse. I have hidden this secret for years and it shatters me. The tears are free falling now. I can contain them no more.