Day 2.4 Betrayal - ROCKET AllanFisher

Rocket wasn't her real name ya see... I never know'd her real name, ever'one jus' called her Rocket. I remember the first time we met, way back when we was kids. The very first thing that stood out about Rocket was her hair. She had the longest hair I'd ever seen in my whole life. It was chestnut brown and hung down past her bum. Tessa'd sit and brush it every morning after breakfast and then she'd put it in one big long braid right down the centre o' Rocket's back. When Rocket would run (and she was always runnin') that braid would whip around like a big length o' rope... an if it'd hit ya, it'd hurt like a bee sting. The other thing people always noticed was Rocket's eyes. She had real pretty brown eyes, big and bright and sparkly like she was always just about ta start crying, even when she was smiling.

When we met we was both living in the trailer park but she tol' me all about how she used to live in foster homes (she never know'd her real folks)

When we met we was both living in the trailer park but she tol' me all about how she used to live in foster homes (she never know'd her real folks). It was bad ... seemed like all those foster people was just in for the money! She got pass around a lot cuz she was 'troubled' or so the agency people said. Rocket hated all those foster people so when she was jus' eleven years ol' she run away and started livin' on the street. She didn't talk so much about that tho' ... I think some bad shi... I mean 'stuff' happened, and she didn't wanna talk about it. Poor kid never had any luck...

Then came Tessa... she was like... I dunno... sorta like her mom I guess. The way Rocket used to tell it, Tessa was a sweet angel back then. Tessa found Rocket in a dumpster... just starvin' to death. Tessa took one look in that dumpster and just reached in an plucked Rocket out and that was that. Tessa took her back to the trailer park, got her fed and took care o' her like she was her own. From then on they was like a pair o' aces. They was always together.

Rocket used to love the trailer and the folks in the trailer park. Old Jim across the way used to read to her before he got the palsy and couldn't hold the books no more, and Audee May used to watch her when Tessa was working (when she had a job).

I always liked Tessa, but that woman could not hold a job. She had been a real beauty when she was young, she used to love to tell how she posed for Playboy magazine when Heffner was just starting out. Ever'time she told it the year always seemed to change but she swore it happened.

Tessa always loved little kids. Not like that you pervo! She jus' liked little kids better than adults. She could trust 'em y'know? I guess Tessa was kind o' like a big kid herself... she and Rocket used to go down and jump in the Goodwill bin and play dress-up in all the funky old cloths... they was always doing shi... I mean 'stuff' like that. Rocket tol' me that one day she wanted to paint a picture and they didn't have no brushes, so Tessa cut a lock off her own hair off and stuck it on a pencil for her to paint with. I tell ya, ain't no one never done nothin' like that for me...

 I tell ya, ain't no one never done nothin' like that for me