Day 5.9 Revenge - THE VISITANT JackHarbon

Seleste examined the wall across from her, her mind buzzing with concern. Everyone would be at supper tonight. Despite being in another room entirely, she knew that Domanik was smiling to himself. He was eager to share the celebration with his closest friends and allies. It was all he could speak of since sunrise.

"Is everything well, Your Grace?" Malyssa looked at the Queen nervously, her hands wrung together.

"Yes. My apologies." Seleste stepped into the billowing gown and took in a deep breath as Malyssa and another handmaiden dressed her. The corset pulled tight across her stomach, but she'd given word to the young women to allow her room to breathe. That was very important, now.

Malyssa tied the corset and rounded the woman, her eyes on Seleste's stomach. "It's grown so big," she nearly whispered.

"It has," Seleste smiled. She placed a hand tenderly onto her stomach, stroking the fabric that stretched over her.

"Do you know that we'll have an heir or not?" The other young woman, Elizabeth, nudged Malyssa. "I'm sorry, I should not have asked." She bowed her head and followed Elizabeth to the door. Before either could escape, Seleste turned and called out to them,

"We shall have an heir. You mustn't tell a soul, though. Domanik will have my head if he knows I spoke about the child before I told our friends." Malyssa's eyes lit up, and she covered her mouth to hide her smile.

"I won't tell a soul," she swore, giggling with eagerness as she followed Elizabeth out. Seleste smiled to herself.

"I'll always come back to you, my love. I will fight for you until I draw my last breath. Until my bones are dust and my soul is long gone. I will fight for you. I swear it."

Seleste shook the vow she'd made years ago from her head and smoothed out her gown. She straightened up and headed down the halls in search of her daughters. She found the two girls in their chamber. The girls looked up in fear as she entered.

"What is wrong, my doves?"

Madelyn, the eldest of the girls, pulled her sheets to her chest. "Won't the monster come while we sleep?"

Seleste bristled at the mention of 'the monster.' Whoever had started the vicious rumor that the woods neighboring the Kingdom of Taviel had given birth to a dangerous beast had long since gotten on her nerves. There was no such thing, and to entertain the idea was a waste of precious time.

"Listen to me when I say this, my doves. There is no beast in the woods. There is no monster to come for you. No faeries, witches, or creatures of that ilk. Now, sleep. You both need to be well-rested come sunrise. Worship begins bright and early."

The two girls reluctantly settled into their beds, still skeptical of the existence of a monster. She placed a kiss on each of their foreheads and walked to the door.

"Sleep," she said softly. Seleste hoped they would soon forget about this fairy tale and resume their normal behavior.

The blood dripped from every surface. Seleste's stomach wretched, her heart breaking as she looked at the massacre. And then, two pairs of hands seized her, pulling her backwards. She thrashed. She screamed. It was fruitless.

Seleste strode down the hall right on time. Domanik stopped in his tracks and took in the sight of his wife in one of the most beautiful gowns he'd had designed for her. "You look breathtaking, my dear."

She blushed and turned to him, stepping closer. Domanik's hands found her hips. He stared down into her deep brown eyes, captivated by the glowing aura surrounding her. Seleste brushed a strand of black hair back and pressed her lips to his.