Chapter 3

A/N: Let's get to know Nathan a little, shall we? Above how I envision him during his time in New York, one of the cities he stayed during his internships - more the introvert, intellectual kind of guy, and not the typical jock from most werewolf stories.

----

Nathan's POV

„Dang, I missed this quiet little town!" Deeply inhaling the fresh air, under no circumstances would I ever again want to swap the earthy, purely natural scent of the woods for the thick smog of the big cities I had been forced to live in for the past three years.

As the oldest son of our Alpha, and his heir, I had first headed off to receive training at different allied packs, to learn from their Alphas and warriors, before I went to college. As the Alpha, one of my responsibilities is going to be overseeing our pack's numerous - and extremely profitable - businesses, enabling the members of my pack to live prosper lifes, with amenities such as free healthcare and many more.

To be able to handle these businesses, a degree in economics has become a necessity in today's modern world. Thank goddess, I'm rather smart, and earned my degrees in no time. Afterwards, I took on internships in major corporations of the human world, to get to know the practical side of the job.

Hence, I haven't been home much in the last five years. But now, I can finally return, and hopefully find my mate. After all, I'm already twenty-five. My father wants to resign from the stressful position as our Alpha soon, to enjoy his retirement with my mom. It would be easier for him to let go of his duties if I had my mate as new Luna by my side, although it's not a requirement.

But, truthfully, I yearn for finally meeting her.

Living amongst humans, in big cities, has given me many opportunities to meet women, and it would be a lie if I said I saved my chastity for my future mate – I haven't. Nevertheless, none of these women has been more than a fling, because I know that I'll only find true happyness with my mate, the other half of my soul. Sappy, I know, but nonetheless true.

„Nathan O'Railey, is that you?" Turning towards the source of this voice, I see a young woman with bleached blonde hair walking towards our little group of four.

My future Beta Philipp „Phil" Carter, son of my father's Beta, his younger brother Sean and my childhood friend Kyle Grand picked me up at the private airport just outside our hometown half an hour ago, to accompany me to the pack house. We just stopped the car at the edge of the wood, to decide whether or not we should go for a run before continuing our way to the pack house. Considering the amount of pack members waiting to welcome me there, we won't have the opportunity to spend much undisturbed time together, like in the old days, when we grew up close as brothers.

Therefore, I have been looking forward to go on a run with the guys, prior to all the madness awaiting me at the pack house. But, unfortunately, it seems like we won't be granted some peaceful bro time now, either, thanks to Miss Blondie...

Being the polite future Alpha I am, I turn towards the woman with a fake smile hanging from my lips: „Yes, that's me. Sorry, do I know you? It's been a while since I last came home..."

Blondie smiles, but I can see she is not happy I can't remember her. „I'm Sheila, we used to date in high-school." Yeah, right, what you could call date in our pack. Now I recognize her. Sheila, right. We used to hold hands in sixth or seventh grade, and yes, we shared a couple of rather chaste kisses back then.

„Oh, of course I remember! Wow, look at you, you've definitely matured." Yeah, she looks old, and desperate. Guess it has gone around that I haven't found my mate yet, fueling false hopes in some mateless females of the pack.