Chapter 10

A/N: Belated x-mas gift - a new chapter :-)

Enjoy, vote, comment, share :-)

-------------

Nathan's POV

„If you want to go on a run, I won't rattle you out, sir", Cory says once we reach the back of the pack house. As tempting as his offer might be, I have to decline it politely. There are too many residents gathered in the garden, enjoying the last rays of the sun, and I'm not mean enough to hurt the feelings of the Sheilas. In addition, I think it's not a bad idea to have a look at the playground for real, since I hope to see my own pups playing there soon.

But before we have a chance to walk over to the playground, a commotion at the edge of the woods draws our attention towards that spot.

„Out of my way! We need a pack doctor, right now!" The booming voice tearing through the peacefullness of the garden I instantly recognize as belonging to Gamma Gavin.

When the people who rushed over to help or gawk part, I see the Gamma emerge, carrying someone in his arms.

The next moment, my heart stops when I realize it's Alex, unconscious and bleeding profusely from what appears to be a head wound.

An earth-shattering growl escapes my throat, turning everyones attention to me, and I see red, as red as my mate's blood gushing out of his head and covering the Gamma's shirt.

I charge at Gavin, but before I can shred him into tiny pieces, three of the guarding warriors catch me. One of them is James Grand, and that's the only thing keeping me from attacking them, too.

„Gavin, put my brother down right now, or I can't promise I'll be able to keep the Alpha from killing you...", James shouts in a desperate voice at a stunned Gavin. It's never a good idea to touch another wolf's mate, least one you presumably just injured.

„But, he needs a doctor...", Gavin tries to reason, but when he looks me in the eyes, everything klicks. Without further ado, he gently lays Alex down on the ground, and retreats a couple of steps, holding his hands high in the air and showing his neck as a sign of surrender.

James and the other warriors let go of my arms, and I rush over to Alex. Kneeling beside him, I'm relieved to hear his heart beating steadily, but the amount of blood he lost and is still losing almost sends me on a killing spree. But I have to stay calm, my mate needs me now.

A pale James hands me his shirt with shaking hands, and I press it at the back of Alex' head in hopes to stop the bleeding. The garden has gotten so quiet, you could hear the sound of a pin dropping.

„Alex..." I'm at a loss for words as I gently caress his frighteningly pale and cold cheek. Apollo howls and claws at my insides like crazy, but I can't give him what he wants right now, and that is to kill Gavin for hurting our mate. „James, put the Gamma in a cell until I have time to interrogate him. Now!" I shout the last word without looking up from my mate's face, and everyone knows I order Gavin to be arrested for the man's own sake. If I have his scent, that lingers all over my mate's body, in my nose any longer, with him right in front of me, I'll lose it.

„It was an accident, we didn't touch him, I swear to the goddess", a sobbing Stan, appearing behind Gavin, says, but I'm not in the right state of mind for dealing with them now.

„Get them both away from my mate, right this instance!" By now, anyone present is aware of why I react the way I do, so I can as well confirm it. I don't have to look into the people's faces to know they are shocked, but I don't give a damn. My mate looks like he's dying, and that kills me inside, too.