Chapter 31

As he brought his car to a halt in the parking lot of the apartment, Narain felt a pang of emptiness in his arms. Where she had always fit perfectly, laying her head against my chest, assuring me that I would always be loved. Only to have that love gone in the air with her words that day and later lost forever with her demise.

"Hello?" Anuradha snapped her fingers in front of his eyes.

Drawn from his thoughts, Narain glanced at her in confusion.

"Do you plan to sleep or spend the night in the car? We're going up." Anuradha held Nila's hand and walked towards the apartment building while Narain switched off the engine of the car.

He headed upstairs where Anuradha was unlocking the door of the apartment. She walked in with Nila and closed the door behind her without turning back.

"Careful!" Narain jerked his hand back as two of his fingers had got squeezed behind the door.

Anuradha opened the door again instantly.

"Oh sorry, I didn't know you were behind-" Anuradha started to speak when Narain interposed, "Can't you check before closing the door?"

"You were still in the car when we came up. So I just thought to close it instead of leaving it open till you come."

"Nila was behind you. I wouldn't have tolerated it if it had been her hand. I know you are very fast in everything and you don't think twice before hurting me intentionally or unintentionally with your words or actions. But I won't tolerate it if you hurt her like that."

"Oh, so you're saying it's only me who hurts everyone intentionally and you men don't hurt anyone, is it? All of you men are perfect. You don't have to explain yourselves, whatever you do. Only I'm wrong all the time, right? If I really wanted to hurt you intentionally, I would have locked the door behind us so you would have to stay out the whole night! Just for an accident, you're saying like this. That's why we shouldn't be nice to you men. Definitely not to a man like you. I don't know what your wife even saw in you to love you in the first place."

Narain who had been frowning hearing Anuradha's words, glanced up at her. His eyes shut on their own as the hurtful words he had once heard replayed in his mind. 'I don't know what I saw in you to fall in love with you at first, Narain.' Narain's eyes flared in anger. "Shut up!" He banged his fist against the wall in frustration.

Anuradha skipped a breath, startled for a moment by Narain's outburst.

"You girls need a reason to love someone, don't you?" Enraged, Narain raised his forefinger towards Anuradha. "Look here, you don't know my wife, okay? Don't try to talk like her! I've been through enough, God damn it! I don't have the patience or the time to waste on arguing with you. I'm only here for my Nila, understand? Stay away from me!"

Narain stormed off to the living room without speaking another word.

Shaken, Anuradha stared after him in silence. I have never seen him upset like this before. His wife's friend, had insulted him so much with such hurtful accusations last time but he had remained calm and unperturbed then. What had happened to him now?

Anuradha turned to find herself alone. Nila must have gone to the bedroom. How forcefully he had banged his fist against the hard concrete wall in his anger. It would have hurt. My words had obviously hurt him. Had I really gone overboard?

Anuradha headed to the bedroom. Nila was having her shower in the bathroom. Feeling disturbed, Anuradha stepped back out of the bedroom. Noticing Narain at his usual stance in the balcony, Anuradha headed towards the balcony. I have to apologise.