Chapter 44

Later that evening, the three of them headed to a park nearby.

The moment Narain parked his car, Nila unlocked her door and jumped out without even waiting for him to turn off the engine.

"Hey, Nila baby!" Narain called out, shocked that she had jumped out of the car so soon.

Seated in the passenger seat beside him, Anuradha turned back and looked out of the window to see that Nila had disappeared. She must have run over to the park. But why was she in such a hurry she couldn't even wait and go with us like usual?

Anuradha frowned and stepped out of the car, looking for Nila to be sure where she was. Turning off the engine, Narain quickly unbuckled his seat belt and jumped out of the car as well, searching for Nila. Their eyes moved to the park but did not catch sight of her. Instead, they spotted her running across the road in front of a passing car.

"Nila!" Their minds screamed inside but it remained unvoiced in their shock.

Reaching the other end of the road, Nila stood with her back towards them. Watching her cross the road right in front of a moving car that one second, their hearts had stopped. Anuradha and Narain would not have been able to bear it had Nila got hit by the car. Frozen on the spot, they felt like their hearts were beating so violently inside, after watching her run across the road that one moment.

Without wasting any time, they looked right and left before crossing the road together and running towards her.

"Nila baby, what-" They started shouting in unison, running up to her.

That was how upset they were. But they fell silent the moment she turned back to face them and they saw what she was holding in her hands.

Narain and Anuradha, who were standing next to each other, touched each other's closer hands at the same moment. They were both upset enough to scold Nila for the risk she had taken and fright she had given them. But seeing the wriggling creature in her hands, they knew it would not be right if they scolded her and thus their hands had reached out to each other's so that the other would not speak until calm.

A tiny grey and white kitten squirmed and mewed silently, before curling up in her hand in comfort.

Once the wave of emotions that had risen upon seeing Nila's near miss with the car had subsided, they took a deep breath inside and glanced at each other before letting go of each other's hands.

"While Papa was going to park car, one car went that way and this little kitty fell out from under car. Before kitty get hit by next car coming, Nila run and take." Nila explained, caressing the kitten in her hand.

The adorable kitten was just about the size of her small hand. Seeing the way it lay cosily in her hand, it was obvious that it was not a stray kitten but one that was used to being petted and pampered. Perhaps its owners had not realized that it had gotten into their car and it had fallen out along the way while the car was in motion.

Anuradha squatted down and touched Nila's cheek with her hands. "Baby, crossing the road alone is not safe. What if that car had hit you?" Anuradha shuddered at the thought of it and she sensed Narain stiffen upon hearing her question to Nila. "Next time, tell Mama or Papa or someone before you cross the road. We would have tried to stop the car and save little kitty."

"Nila go fast so Nila no tell Mama and Papa now when Nila save kitty. Next time, Nila tell Papa or Mama first."

Anuradha smiled a bit in relief.

"Mama, Papa, can we take kitty home?"

Anuradha glanced at Narain before turning back to Nila. "You know your Mommy doesn't like or want to keep any pets, right?"