Chapter 48

A/N: This chapter has been edited. Please read it again and feel free to comment your thoughts on it.

"More than a month passed. She seemed fine and happy when she was with me but she never failed to tell me those nine words every morning before I left for work. Be home before seven. Otherwise, I'll abort this child. These words replayed in my mind throughout the day no matter what I was doing. I gave excuses to my chief and colleagues that I have to pick up my wife and left office earlier everyday.

Somehow I managed to make sure I reached home around half past six or just before seven if there was traffic. There were days when I got frustrated and wanted to scold her for even thinking of abortion so late into her pregnancy but I did not say anything because I didn't want to talk about it and get late when I was leaving in the mornings or spoil her mood when I was back in the evenings.

I was happy and she seemed happy too and never seemed to have any more moodswings after that. Though her daily morning blackmails and my sleepless nights continued for more than a month until..." Narain took a deep breath and averted his gaze as another tear clouded his vision. "Until one day came when she did not tell me those ten words in the morning."

...

I was getting ready to leave for work earlier than usual one morning as it was going to be a busy day today. I was putting on my coat in front of the mirror when I heard Swetha's voice behind me. "What is this?"

I glanced at her and saw her taking a folded paper from the bedside table and reading it. I didn't notice it sitting there earlier. "What is it?"

"Divorce papers." She did not take her eyes off the papers in her hand.

"What?" Divorce papers? Had I heard her right?

"Aren't you happy with me anymore, Narain?" She asked casually, with her eyes pinned on the papers.

"What a question? Of course I am!"

"Have you fallen in love with someone else then?"

"No, for God's sake! Why would I even have to look at someone else when I have you, the most beautiful, loving and perfect wife?" I glanced back at the mirror and adjusted my tie with a frown.

"Have you lost interest in me by any chance?"

"No, Swetha! What nonsense is this?" I turned to face her. "I love you so much. To lose interest, you are not a game. You are my wife. My better half; my life."

"Then, am I not being enough of an understanding wife for you after your long days of work?"

"Why are you asking me questions like this, Swetha?"

"You did not answer me."

I walked over to her and held her by the shoulders. "You are very understanding, Swetha. You are the best wife any man could have and I'm so lucky to have got you. I know you love me and I have no doubt about it. I don't know why you doubt my love. Maybe because I don't express my love.

But there's this immense happiness in me the moment I see you. That special smile of happiness, if you have noticed it, it is solely for you. I remember you all day. I can't think of anything or anyone but you. Isn't that enough for you to feel sure of my love? I feel it unnatural when I try to say I love you to you but my love for you is true and more than I can express. You know that."