Chapter 46

A/N: This chapter has been edited. Please read it again and feel free to comment your thoughts on it.

Miscarriage? Narain frowned but remained silent.

"That day, you walked into me accidentally just before I met him again. Why didn't you take me away from there then, Narain? I wish you had. At least I wouldn't have met him. I would have lived on with the good memories of the times I had been with him and not this painful one. There might have also been a chance my baby could have been with me now." Anuradha blinked away her tears but they did not stop.

Narain's frown creased deeper. What is she talking about? When had I walked into her?

"I can never forget that day. It was not his fault but I had been completely broken. I did not think about my baby then. I didn't know my baby would leave me like everyone else. Had I been a little stronger, my baby might have survived. Why did I love him so much that I let his words hurt me in a way no one else ever has?" Anuradha trailed off, unknowingly voicing the thoughts in her mind.

...

Raghav was an impatient man; he didn't like waiting. This Narain had to walk into me right now and make me forget about my Raghav for one second. Raghav has come all the way here to meet me and now that I've made him wait longer, he might have lost his calm, waiting for me and turned to go by now. I turned back to the direction I had been heading and froze.

I was wrong; he was still patiently waiting for me by the side of his car with a bouquet of flowers in hand. Just the way he had been waiting for me outside that day when I had packed my things and left the hostel to move in with him....

Am I dreaming? I looked away in the direction Narain had gone before turning back to Raghav to make sure. He was still there, waiting so patiently for me. He's really back for me. Even though I took time, he's still waiting. So, he had come back. For me. For our baby. I knew he would come back.

Our love was true. You're my Raghav, my one and only true love; I knew you would come back for me and our baby. But I never expected you would come searching for me all the way to this new branch of my office with a bouquet of flowers in hand as well. You have no idea how much I love you, Raghav. You're the best!

I started walking over to him again, faster this time. I was going to play hard-to-get so that he won't think of letting go of me once more. I approached him and waited. What was he going to say? How was he going to call me to go back home with him?

"I'm sorry, Anu." He spoke with a dry voice.

I was really finding it difficult to hide the smile that wanted to break the seriousness in my face. It was more tough than I thought to hold myself back from hugging him right then because that was just how happy I was over the fact that he had come back for us. But I tried to remain expressionless. Go on, my dear man.

He stepped back and turned to go.

I frowned in confusion. Wait, what? Is that all? Aren't you gonna call me back?

He stopped in his tracks and turned back to face me and then burst into laughter, seeing my face. "What did you think? That I came to call you back? You left me like a stubborn pest when all I asked you to do was abort your child. So nah, the only reason I came now is because my girlfriend asked me to meet you one last time, say sorry and make sure it's all over between us. That's all."

I felt a sinking feeling in my heart and a stabbing pain near my waist, where my baby's heart was beating inside without knowing the heartbreak her father was intentionally or unintentionally giving me.