Chapter 6

Simon stood up, letting go of Daniel's hand. "I think that Emma might have a few positive things to say, and if Cynthia's with her, she'll hopefully keep quiet." Simon opened the door to the kitchens and Casper walked up the stairs. He stuck his hands in his pockets and hummed a song his mother used to sing to him. After a few minutes of pointless wandering, he remembered he had someone to call. "Emma!" for a few moments, nothing happened. Then Casper heard the unmistakable sound of footfalls behind him. He spun around on his heels to see a short girl with magenta eyes and bronze corkscrew curls wearing a maid's uniform.

"You called?" she put her hands behind her back and stood on her tip toes, batting her eyelashes.

"U-Um, yes I did." Casper stuttered. There was a moment of silence, and Emma furrowed her brows,

"Well why did you? I have other things to do, you know."

"Of course you do!" Casper fumbled with his hands, "I just didn't want to break any of the rules. I also wanted to know about the vampire." Emma huffed and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Name: Louis Chambers. Age: around 150. Height: 5 feet 11 inches. Birthday: October 31-"

"No, no, no, not like that. I meant your opinion of him." At Casper's words, Emma's magenta eyes sparkled.

"Oh, so you've taken a shine to him, I see."

"Nothing like that!" Casper was exasperated. "Can you just tell me what you think he's like." Emma nodded and began to walk down the hallway. When Casper lagged behind, she motioned for him to follow and he caught up with a few long steps.

"Master Louis, he's quite the looker for one." Casper looked at his feet and Emma snickered. "But he never uses it to his advantage. He is kind and generous, like every gentleman should be; however, when you get to know him you realize he has a filthy mouth. Master Casper, I know you may not think that highly of him for taking you away from your kingdom like he did. He was doing it to protect you; the Master cares for you greatly and didn't want to see you get hurt."

"When exactly would he be seeing me anyway?"

Emma shifted on her feet, "Well, I hope you won't be too upset with him when you find out but...he has been watching you for some time. How else did you think he was able to know where you were and that you were in danger in the first place?" Casper stopped walking.

"You mean he's been spying on me?! For how long?!"

"I really shouldn't have said anything-" Casper took an intimidating step towards her,

"How long, Emma?"

"About 20 years." She whispered under her breath.

"20 years?!"

"He needed to make sure you were safe!" Both were shouting now.

"Safe from what?!"

Emma's voice dropped, "I'm not at liberty to say."

"Why not!?"

"Because it would make you so distraught you would want to throw yourself from this very castle!"

"What is going on here?" a third voice cut through their argument. It was much more composed but held a large amount of authority. Casper and Emma whirled around to find a shadow approaching on the wall. It stepped out and was dressed in a butler's uniform and had static brown hair and faded eyes. Emma bowed her head.

"Nothing, Jack. Master Casper and I were just having a small disagreement is all. It is nothing to worry about." Jack raised an eyebrow,

"For some reason, Emma, I feel the need to doubt your words. Go clean the Master's office; make sure Cynthia checks it after you, she'll make sure everything is perfect." Emma bowed her head and left the hallway without another word. "My sincerest apologies, Master Casper. Emma can be quite irritable at times."