CHAPTER 1:THE WEDDING

Munawwarah couldn't just stop smiling. Today, she was getting married to the love of her life, could life be anymore perfect?

Umar had been her neighbour since they were six, and they had taken to each other since then. Even though their religious beliefs prevented them from having a normal boyfriend girlfriend relationship, the chemistry between them was indisputable, and Umar would use any opportunity they had alone together to hold her hands or kiss her. It made her scared that whenever this happened, she just wanted more, but they had to wait till after the marriage proper.

Their parents weren't so surprised when they both expressed their intention of getting married. Umar was already working with a reputable IT firm and doing quite well. Munawwarah was a medical house officer at the teaching hospital. Even though they were both just twenty five, nothing was stopping them from getting married as soon as possible.

At last, the day arrived, and there was so much eating and drinking. Before she was presented to the wedding audience, her friend Maryam whispered in her ear, " keep on repeating your adhkar as you go on the stage. There are so many people here, and each has his or her own intention to be here, whether good or bad."

Munawwarah smiled and nodded her consent. Suddenly her sisters rushed into the room and pulled her towards the door.

"The Alfas have been calling for the past fifteen minutes. Let's go!" She met her dad at the entrance and he smiled at her, in a mixture of happiness and sadness. He was going to miss her, that was obvious, but seeing his eyes filled with unshed tears made her legs weak and she wanted to cry. He pulled her towards himself and whispered to her, " today is your day of joy, enjoy it and I'll even be happier." She nodded and gently wiped the the tears off her face.

Together they moved together to the chanting of the Alfas and the guests, " SubhanaLlah, Alhamdulillah...". Her friends and sisters were behind her dad and her, and they joined in the chanting. She looked up and saw her beautiful mum seated with Umar's parents, dabbing her eyes with an handkerchief. Her husband to be was beside the Alfas, smiling so wide she almost burst out laughing. Silly boy, she thought. She was very sure the only thing on his mind was the wedding night.

A week before, when he had visited her at home with some lame excuses, he couldn't stop talking about the wedding night. " Muni darling, hope you preparing really well for that night because its going to be one crazy night!" She couldn't stop laughing and had to cover his mouth when he wanted to start explaining a new position he just read about. They were both virgins, so Munawwarah could understand his over excitement about sex. She had also been browsing about stuffs as she didn't want to be caught unawares or act like a novice, even if she was one.

The night before the wedding day, called 'Sister's night', was also more enlightening. Other married Muslimahs, her friends and family were present, and they did not hesitate to explain the tricks of the wedding night and the marriage proper. IyaKadi, her aunty with her booming voice said, " When you open the door to welcome your husband home from work, open it naked! Let your boobs be the first thing that welcome him home. He will go bananas for you I tell you!" The other women screamed and clapped, cheering loudly.Munawwarah wondered about that and made a mental note not to do that every time.

The wedding was coming to a close and well wishers were congratulating them and taking pictures with them. Umar was holding her hand so tight she almost winced. It was the first time he held her hand in public asides when they were little, and he was doing a very good job with that. She was his now, she smiled to herself.

Munawwarah looked to her left instinctively and saw a man looking at her with cold eyes. She was confused and looked at Umar to see if he noticed, but he was busy laughing with his friends. She looked back at the man again but he had disappeared.