CHAPTER 12: USELESS

This chapter is dedicated to alienated-pothato for the beautiful cover. Thank you! And to my dear readers and followers of Munawwarah's story, I appreciate!

Since he left Munawwarah at the hospital this morning, Umar had been at home sleeping. Now awake, he felt hungry,  bored, angry... and guilty. Somehow, a rational part of him felt he was not handling things well. The part of him that he really can't explain these days was still angry with Munawwarah. He blamed her for his moods and problems. There was one thing he was sure of though;
He missed her so much.
He just couldn't comprehend how little issues magnified to this stage.
Umar made up his mind.
He was going to the hospital to see his wife.

Idris Babs just finished his evening prayer when he decided to call Munawwarah and inquire about her health.
She picked after the first ring.
" Salam alaikum Mr. Babs, thank you for today."
" Wa alaikum Salam Doctor," Idris replied, "Hope you feel better now."
"Yes,  I do feel better," said Munawwarah.
"Are your parents back home?"
"No they are not," Munawwarah replied,  "but they will soon be hopefully."
Idris cleared his throat, "erm, can I check on you tomorrow? I have some prophetic medicines I might want to bring for you, that might help cleanse your body system. I know you being a doctor, you don't believe in unorthodox stuffs. But these work, I assure you."
Munawwarah laughed. "No problem, you can bring them over tomorrow. I will be_"
Idris waited for her to finish her statement, but she didn't. When he kept on saying hello and received no reply, he disconnected and tried again. But the number wouldn't go through anymore. Maybe her phone battery is down, he thought aloud. At least, she has agreed that he could come on the morrow.
That was enough.

Alhaji Davies drove into his compound, humming to himself the song playing on his car radio. He didn't understand why his wife was so worked up on the phone this morning about Munawwarah's miscarriage. Women, always fretting over things they don't have power to change. It was just a miscarriage. She's young. She will get pregnant again in no time. What worried him was the state of Munawwarah's husband; his joblessness. Alhaji Davies hoped he won't have to depend on his daughter's income for long. He won't have that happen. Umar is a man. He should keep on looking for a job for himself. And not just any type of job, a befitting one. Alhaji Davies couldn't afford to have a son in law that was useless; just sitting at home waiting on his wife's salary. He had to go out there and struggle!
Alhaji Davies also struggled, suffered to get to where he was today, he thought as he got out of his car after parking and retrieving his briefcase. Maybe he will have to see Umar's dad the following day, so he can speak to his son about how to be a man and stop moping around his house, lamenting his joblessness.
Alhaji Davies was about to open the door with his own key when his phone rang. He smiled as he saw who the caller was, Zahra, Munawwarah's immediate younger sister by six years.
" Daddy!" she squealed.
"Hey darling, how are you?"
"I am good. Mum called me this morning that Sis Muni lost her baby. That's sad!"
"Yes it is. It's one of those things about life though. She will be pregnant again soon darling, don't disturb your pretty little head about that."
Zahra sighed. "But I've been trying trying her and mum's number since Maghreb time and it has not been going."
"Network problem probably. I just got home now. Your mum might be home already." Alhaji Davies opened the door and kept on speaking with his daughter.
"I will let them know you called darling. I hope school is not so stressful."
Alhaji Davies did not hear what Zahra was saying anymore even though her voice was still loud and clear. Lying on the ground just in front of the door was Munawwarah.

Bleeding.

He didn't know when the phone slipped from his hand, as he crouched beside Munawwarah, trying to raise her, at the same time shaking her to wake her up. When he didn't feel her pulse, he got scared.
"Who's home, somebody help!"