Chapter 12

The next week moves by slowly for almost everyone. Even the little ones feel super excited even though they've never met Henri. I think their Guardians told them about him, or (more likely) they heard something about gifts. Unlike the older group, which is mostly guys and don't really care about anything other than leaving.

Every day I ask James, "Do you know when he's coming?"

And James would sigh with a little more impatience than the day before and say, "No, but I'll tell you when I find out."

But it's not until the end of Training Day that James brings the good news. "Guess what's happening tomorrow?"

"We're going to the surface?" I ask, looking up from my book.

James rolls his eyes. "Have you forgotten the one thing you've been bothering me about this entire week?"

"Wait, Henri's coming tomorrow? Really?"

He nods. "Right after breakfast."

I stare at him, a wide grin spreading across my face. I couldn't have imagined this happening again. I wonder what James told him what I would like. Hopefully it's something good. Actually, I have no idea of what I would want. There's nothing I'd really want, except maybe a few new books. But other than that... I really just want to know what's going on. To know what's happening on Azera.

"Do you think he'll bring news?" I ask.

"Good news or bad news?"

"News. I just want news."

James purses his lips. "I have no idea, Callie. I haven't actually talked to him."

"Right," I mumble, leaning back into the chair. "I feel like tomorrow's never gonna come."

"It will, just be patient," James says. "Want to play a game of cards or go down to the Recreation Floor?"

"Nah, I'm good," I say, returning back to my book. I'm probably one of the biggest bookworms in the entire Training Base. If I've got a book and somebody suggests doing something else, I'll choose the book in a heartbeat.

"Why not?" James asks.

I hold up my book as an answer.

He sighs. "You're such a bookworm."

I don't answer him, so he tousles my hair and leaves. I watch him go. From my chair I can see the entire living space. I sit in the one of the three chairs in there, two of which are by the sofa. They're all navy blue with a white trim. In front of the sofa is a coffee table, which covered with books. The rug on the floor and the art on the wall can't hide the grated floor or the metal walls bolted in place. The Training Base isn't a cozy place to live, but it's still a place to live.

Shortly after James leaves, I hear a knock on the door. "Who is it?" I call, assuming it was Astrid, wanting to hang out, or James, probably forgetting something. So I'm a little surprised when a voice replies with, "It's me, Masan. Can I come in?"

"Um, sure," I get up and unlock the door. He stumbles in, his curls falling onto his forehead. He pushes them back and stands up straight.

"You know, you can walk through walls, right?" I ask him, closing the door behind him. "You have the dorm right next to us."

"That would be rude. Besides, I don't know what you do. You could be undressed or something."

"Why would I be undress..." my voice trails off as I remember a week ago, when I had pulled off my shirt in the living area briefly. "You've been spying on me, haven't you?"