Chapter 38

I'm laying prone on the bed when James comes back out. I had been staring at the wall blankly, but now I lift my head to look at him. He gives me a small smile and sits down on the bed across from me. "Are you okay?" he asks quietly.

I shake my head no. Of course I'm not okay. My best friend is dead, my home is destroyed, I'm being held by my enemy, and I feel sick to my stomach. I'm anything but okay.

"I'm not either," he says.

I tremble hard, tears stinging my eyes again. "What will we do?" I whisper. "Everyone saw us fall. They must think we're...we're..."

"Dead," James finishes. "And for all we know, we will be. He wants me dead. You know that."

I think about the premonition. It's as clear as day. I cry harder. But a comforting thought strikes me. "Remember how we were certain that you would die, because in that premonition, I'm ready to avenge someone's death? That's what we thought, anyhow."

"Where are you going with this?" James asks a little warily.

I sit up, my hair clinging to the side of my face from static electricity. "It doesn't have to be you. We just lost so many people, I lost my best friend... it may not mean I lose you too."

James is silent. Then he stands up and says shakily, "I'm gonna ask the guard if food will be brought here. You stay put."

"Where could I even go?" I mutter. James ignores this and goes to open the door. Then he swears.

"What?" I ask, standing up.

"Either I've lost the ability to open up a door, or they locked us in," James says angrily. He kicks the metal door. "Dammit!"

"Watch your profanity," I say without thinking. Thankfully, James doesn't hear this, because he knocks on the door and asks, "Are we allowed out? Hello? Hello? Somebody?" 

As he continues to receive no response, he begins to panic, to the point where he begins to slam his fists against the door and screaming, "Let us out! I thought we weren't gonna be treated as prisoners! Let us out! Let us OUT!" 

"I don't think that's quite the way to let us out..." my voice trails off as James looks at me, his face blotchy and tear-streaked. Then he sinks to the ground, hugging his knees to his chest. He sobs a bit, then looks at me.

"I'm suppose to be your strong guardian," he mumbles. "Capable of staying calm when you're upset...and I'm throwing a fit when you need me the most. I'm so sorry."

"I'm not mad at you," I say quietly. When he doesn't answer, I get up to sit next to him. I wrap both arms around his shoulders, and he bends his neck to lean his face on them. 

"I don't know what to do," he whispers. "We can't leave, we can't escape..."

"I know," I say. I lean my head on my upper arm too and cry as well. "I know," I repeat.

I think we both his on the floor for a good hour, crying on each other. Eventually, James sniffs and lifts up his head. "I think we should go to bed," he says finally. "It's been a long day for both of us."

"No kidding," I say. He gives a sad chuckle and helps me up. I make my way unsteadily to the bathroom. My stomach lurches and bile rises in my throat. The next thing I know, I'm bent over the toilet, losing my stew.

Immediately, James rushes into the bathroom. "We're being held against our will, and our friends are dead, and now you're sick..." he mutters.