Chapter 14

Henri stares at him in disbelief. "I got that, and I understand that she trusted him, but the other kids trusted him, didn't they? They were young and innocent and he seemed so smart and big to them. But why Callie, of all of them? Why not the girl who can kill with a glance? The boy who can walk through walls and play with metal like clay or make warm water hard as a rock? Why not Alyssa, the girl no one notices but could set fire to anything?"

"Why the girl who's no good in actual fighting but is smart enough to figure out combat plans by watching the past? He's got an army, maybe he just wants someone to refine his plans. Callie can watch and see flaws in plans, point out what techniques are best against enemies. And she can see whether or not the next battle will be a win or loss-or she should be able to. James has also informed me that Callie is unable to form predictions at will, which she should be able to do after 8 years of study," my father explains. The way that he doesn't look Henri in the eyes tells me that there's more than what he told Henri.

"Maybe Matilda's holding her back is a good thing," my mother says, "if Simon wants to use her. If she falls into Simon's grasp, she won't be able to help him. Not very much, anyways."

"She'll help him more than she should-and if she refuses, he'll still use her. After this mess is over, we will remove hypnosis as a power. Now, Henri, don't forget what I've told you to tell her."

I'm almost positive that my mother and father aren't just talking about me working with the enemy. Is there something else that I should know?

"Give her some information on the war, and tell her...tell her that Simon wants her. Yeah, I'll tell her all of that," Henri mumbles.

"Also, tell James to start training Callie with the weapons. She needs to know how to fight," my father adds. "And maybe train her more in her power."

"And let her know that we still love her, even though we may never see her again," my mother whispers. "Please let her know that."

Henri nods and walks out the circular stone room, each footstep echoing in the gloom like the conversation that just ended.

I open my eyes. I'm now lying partially on the floor with my head in James's lap. "Are you okay?" he asks me. His eyes are wide and filled with worry. An older Keeper walks by, but stops to stare at the scene. James snaps at him, "Go! Now!" and he does.

I push myself up into a sitting position, but lean my head against James's chest. The fear and stress from the flashback hits me hard, and I begin to cry. James immediately begins to try to comfort me, rocking me back and forth and crooning, "Shush, shush, it's okay...you're okay..."

He manages to pull me into a standing position without removing his arms. We stand in the middle of the corridor for a while, while James hugs me and shushes me. When I've calmed down enough, he pulls me into the dorm. He sits me down in an armchair and gets me a glass of water. "What happened, kiddo?" he asks gently, kneeling down in front of me.

I take a sip of water and spill some of it all over myself. My hands are shaking, so James takes the glass and puts it down on the end table. "Can you tell me what happened, sweetie?"

"Simon...Simon wants me," I gasp. "He wants to use me and he wants you dead."

"I know, sweetheart," he says. "Henri told me that your parents told him that-"

"That Simon wants to use me and that I'm behind in developing my powers, I know. I...that's when I flash-backed to. I heard about the stuff about Matilda, too."