Chapter 35

After breakfast, James helps me back to my room, and by the time I get back, I'm seriously questioning how the hell I managed to walk all the way to Astrid's, because I feel like I might pass out and my back is beyond painful. The problem is, we only have one couch, and James hasn't gotten all the blood out yet. So James half carries me to my bed, then pushes up the back of my shirt and peels off the bandages to look at the wound. He hisses once the bandage falls away. "Okay, uh, it's a little infected, but no biggie..." He gets up off my bed and leaves. He returns a few seconds later with the first-aid bag and a glass of water.

"You said it was infected?" I ask, twisting around to look at him. The simple motion makes me feel light-headed, and I fall back on the mattress, gritting my teeth. "How?"

"Um, I don't know. It's, uh...I don't know. I don't think it's too bad, though. I need to put some anti-septic cream on before replacing the bandages, and...here," he says, helping me sit up. I do, gritting my teeth. Keeping a hand on my back, he hands me a couple pills. "Take these. They're pain killers."

I put them in my mouth and take a swig of the water. The pills taste awful and it takes several sips of water for them to go down. Then James helps me lay back down again.

"I'm not getting up from this bed again," I tell him.

"Well, that's unfortunate," James says, "because once I put this cream on, guess what?"

"More bandages," I guess. "Do I have to get up?"

"Yup."

I groan. "And don't tell me I have to remove my shirt again."

"Correct again," James says. 

"That's just uncomfortable for me, James."

"It's also necessary," he shoots back.

I groan and resign myself to the humility. Thankfully, it's just James and I, and at least he's got the dignity to cover me with a blanket again. I just wish the wound was lower so I don't have to get completely shirtless.

"When will we talk to Chris about chopping off this mess?" I ask, holding up the jagged ends of my hair.

"I'll do it later," James says. "I do know that Astrid wants Isa to do your hair."

"I don't need a fancy style," I say.

"No, but I don't think Chris is gonna have a ball with your hair."

I think back to the premonition. My hair's definitely shorter, but not too much. I wonder what would happen if I decided to cut it short. Then what would happen? Would something as simple as a hairstyle be enough to change the future? Would it be pushed back? Would something happen to prevent it? Or would the  just go on as normal, without any change except my appearance?

Why am I worrying about how my hair will change the future?

"I think I'll get it cut to a little below my shoulders," I say decisively. "Maybe some bangs at the front...what do you think?"

"You want Isa to do it for you?" James asks.

I nod and shrug slightly. "Yeah, why not?"

"Okay, I'll let her know that you want her to do your hair," he says, standing up. "In the meantime, get some rest, 'kay?"

I nod and wave bye as he leaves my room. He waves back as he shuts the door. When it clicks, I close my eyes, bury my face into the pillow, and think of the premonition. It's crystal clear now, and that scares me.