Chapter 34

"James!" Amacus protests on the other side of the door, but James ignores it. "So when was this a thing?"

"What? Amacus and I? Literally two seconds before this-" I gesture to my back- "happened. And I'm not really sure it's a thing."

"Oh, boy," James says, running a hand over his face. "That was something I didn't need to see."

"I'm fourteen, James," I say.

"You're barely a teenager!" He rubs his forehead. "Sorry, it's just... I feel like I should've been more prepared for this, that's all. I still feel you're too young."

"James, I could be finished with training and you still wouldn't be okay with it," I joke. James gives me a dirty look. "Am I wrong, James?"

James just sighs and goes into his bedroom. "I hope I never see that again," he says as he shuts the door.

"I'll hide it next time, James," I say. Then I get up again and step out of the dorm, swaying a little as I go. I really shouldn't be on my feet-I feel light-headed and nauseous-but I want to talk to Astrid about what happened. She's my best friend; I have to tell her.

Level Three is separated into quadrants, with each group taking up a certain quadrant (except for the younger group, which takes up the entire West side). Each hallway has two dorms at the end, except for the West hallway, which has the dining hall. Our group's quadrant takes up the right side of the North hallway and the left side of the East hallway. My dorm is the second-to-last door on the North hallway, and Astrid's is all the way at the end of the east, so it's not too far, but I'm still light-headed by the time I arrive.

 My dorm is the second-to-last door on the North hallway, and Astrid's is all the way at the end of the east, so it's not too far, but I'm still light-headed by the time I arrive

A/N I drew a helpful map! I marked some rooms with letter to tell you who's bedroom's which (the rectangles are closets, the squares in the living spaces are bathrooms). It goes (in case it's hard to figure out) Alyssa, Callie, James, Masan, Chris, Amacus, Alexa, Astrid, and Isa. It's not to scale, I'm not a freaking architect.

"Hey," Isa says when she opens the door for me. "You alright? You look pale."

"Didn't hear about the accident, did you?" I ask, leaning against the wall.

She shakes her head and steps aside to let me in. I sink into the nearest chair and lean back. "Where's Astrid?"

"Bathroom," Isa says, shutting the door. She bangs on the bathroom door. "Hey, Astrid! Callie's here!"

"Give me a moment!" Astrid calls through the door. Isa smiles at me and sits on the couch. "So, how are you?"

"I've been better," I say with a small grin. "I think, last night, I had the best moment of my life interrupted by the worst one. I'll fill you in once Astrid comes out."

"What are we doing?" Astrid asks, coming out of the bathroom. She comes over to hug me, but I shake my head. "No, don't touch my back. I've got to tell you something."