Chapter Six| A Songbird's Descent

CHAPTER SIX| A SONGBIRD’S DESCENT

As the days turn like gears of a grandfather clock, the weather shifted turning heavy rain into lite snow that coated the sidewalks like cheap paint. Just walking to the hospital has me nervous and clutching my jacket tighter and tighter around my frame. People don’t know how to react to snow and as they hug the curb, just a few feet away from the snow covered cobblestone, I repeatedly look behind me at every motor I hear.

 The sight of the hospital causes my nervousness to deepen, this time clenching my heart instead of my stomach. It tightens itself around my organs like a snake strangling a mouse and my breathing becomes shallow as I fight the urge to turn back around.

 Iodoform laced air greets me like every time before, however this time the air is warm, offensive almost. A gray haired woman looks up from the front desk, her face showing how badly she wishes she wasn’t here. I couldn’t agree more. I walk towards her and sign in as usual, offering her a smile which she refuses as she grunts something about visiting hours before turning back to staring blankly at the screen of her computer.

 I notice his door is slightly ajar as soon as I reach the start of his hallway. This worries me and I walk as slowly as possible to it to prevent myself from making a scene.

 Dad keeps his door shut, always. He likes his privacy and often yells at the nurse to shut it once she’s left. Nothing good comes with my father changing the rules he has set for himself.

 I push the door open with shaky hands; déja vu washes over me.

 He sits at the window, his feet propped up in a small chair as he watches something on the TV that hangs on the wall. When he notices me standing in the doorway he smiles brightly, wrinkles in the corners of his eyes.

 “Songbird, perfect timing. My show just ended.” He sits up straight, barely struggling, yet I continuing standing in the doorway with a dumbfounded look. He notices, laughs and pats the seat in front of him. “Sable, honey, come sit. Talk to your old man. I haven’t seen you in a while.”

 Just like that, I snap out of it. “I know, I’m sorry.” Guilt laces my apology. Dad just smiles.

 “Don’t worry about it. Come tell me what’s been going on, you seem… different.

 I could have told him that I felt different, but I just walk over and sit in front of him.

 “What wrong, Songbird?” I shake my head, avoiding his eyes, but he reaches towards me and places his hand over mine. “Tell me.”

 I gape repeatedly, a million things running through my head, before settling on something not related to him.

 “I think I met someone.”

 “Think?”

 “Okay. I met a boy. I like him, a lot and I think he likes me, a lot, too.”

 “Then what's the problem?”

 “He’s… well he’s different. Special. I’ve never felt like this before.”

 He cockes his head slightly. “How does this special guy make you feel.”

 I smile. “Special.”