Chapter Nine| You're Heavier Than Heavenly

For Monst3rs. It's her four year anniversary with her boyfriend. Holy shit, milestone! Also she's just an incredible person. Love ya Lindsay. 

CHAPTER NINE| YOU’RE HEAVIER THAN HEAVENLY

“Hold still, would you?”

 “I would if I wasn't so scared that you’d burn me.”

 Noel gasps, looking at me through the bathroom mirror. She’s holding a strand of my hair in one hand and her straight iron in other. “You’re mean.” She shakes her head before straightening the strand of hair in her hand, the hot straightener just barely grazing my ear. I cringe, jerking away from her only to be pushed back against the counter. “Sable, stay still. I’m almost done.” She lets out a sigh full of annoyance and I glare at her through the mirror, irritated. When shes done she places the straightener on the counter top before running a comb down the length of my hair.

 “There. Was that so hard?”

 I narrow my eyes. “Very.”

 Noel rolls her eyes while dismissing my snide remark with a flip of her hand. She spends another thirty minutes or so torturing me before she steps back and clasps her hands together, satisfied. “Perfect.” She says happily, bouncing slightly on the tips of her toes. She grabs my shoulders and turns me till I face the mirror and the girl I see in it every day.

 “It took me forever to make that french braid perfect and make sure it would stay. Well?” I don’t respond to her, just look at myself in the mirror realizing just how much I look like my mother. It’s not my hair or eye color, that I get from my father, no, it’s the lines that form at the corners of my mouth whenever I smile that remind me of her. I used to see that smile all the time. Laughing at dad, at Nolan and I. I feel my stomach turn.

 “Sable? Are you okay? Sable?” Noel stares at me with large, worried eyes. I smile at her. “You did really good. I love it.” This wipes the frown from her face instantly. “Oh good! I’m so glad you like it!” She smiles brightly at me before sauntering into my bedroom. She calls my name and I take one last long look in the mirror before flipping the light switch and leaving the dark bathroom.

 Noel stares at her self in my dresser mirror, fluffing the ends of her hair. She places her hands on her hips when she’s satisfied and smiles at me. “I picked out you dress.” She says. I sat on the edge of my bed as she pulls the dress from my closet and hides it behind her back. “Don’t I get a say in what I wear?” She cocks her head to the side. “Of course not.” She laughs. “You’re enjoying this way too much.” “And you’re not enjoying it enough. Come on, you should be bouncing off the walls. Don't you feel anything?”

 I think for a minute. “I’m kinda hungry… actually.” Noel stares at me in disbelief before flipping me off. “Why must you be difficult?” I shrug. “I don’t know.” She mutters to herself as she walks in front of me. “Would you just put this on?” I smile up at her as she pulls the dress from behind her back and thrust it towards me, trying her hardest not to smile as I take it from her and run my fingers over the material.

 The dress is off white, made of lace and most likely polyester, but it’s beautiful, almost as beautiful as the woman who used to wear it; my mother. I sat with my head bowed, my eyes misting slightly and I fight the tears back the best I can. I ignored Noel calling my name as I walk back into the bathroom and slip into the dress. It hugs my waist tightly and I resist the urge to take it off as I adjust the thick straps against my shoulders. I exit the bathroom to find Nolan leaning against my door frame as Noel babbles endlessly.