01

Natalie Gilbert

"If you don't get up right now Natalie we're going to be late" Elena aggressively opens my door to complain. It's our first day back to school and to say I am dreading it would be an understatement. Let's say I might have accidently forgot to set my alarm last night. If not for Elena's incessant pestering I would still be in a wonderous pit of slumber. 

"That's a risk I am willing to take" I flip over my pillow for the cold side and cuddle further into my sheets. If she was not already annoyed she most definitely was now. My warm blankets are ripped from my legs and the sudden cold makes me jump. 

"What the hell Elena!" I yell. 

"I've told you a million times to get up and get ready!" She fires back.

"And?" 

"You are impossible, you know that?" She storms back into the bathroom to finish getting ready. Left in my room cold and annoyed I slowly trudge out of bed and towards the bathroom. I look in the mirror and my bed head could scare a small child. The lights around the mirror are still too bright for me so I squint heavily to search for my morning products. I pop in my contacts so now I could finally see. 

I feel fresh after doing my hygiene routine. Taming my hair was my next challenge. The wavy brown curls have fizziness that requires my almost constant attention. Many styles are tried out before I just settle on a low messy bun, and I leave out a pieces to frame my face. 

"We are leaving in 15 minutes" Elena yells from downstairs.

Ignoring her I stare at myself in my dresser mirror. As I look at my appearance I realize what is to come as soon as we step into school.

The stares. Sad, pity stares for the kids who lost their parents. I know people mean well, want to check up on us, make sure we're okay. But, I do not think I could handle all the eyes on me, knowing exactly what they are thinking as they look at my features like at any moment tears will start to run down my face. 

I mean, what do I even say? Am I okay? 

Simple answer is yes, psychically I am fine and okay.

My real answer is the rather obvious one, one that takes time to explain how I am actually doing and handling all of this. My real answer is no, and it's been that way for a while. 

Knowing Elena is bound to yell again I throw on some black athletic leggings and an oversized sweatshirt quickly and grab my bag before heading out of the room. 

"Nat, lets go!" 

"I am literally right here" 

"I made you a bagel, I knew you wouldn't have time to eat"

"I'm good, I'm not hungry"

"Natalie Rose, you need to eat something" Jenna chimes in from the kitchen.

"Good morning to you too J" I reply with a sarcastic smile.

I grab the bagel and dramatically bite it. It wasn't that I was just not eating, my appetite has been scarce since everything. 

"Better?" I say to Elena.

"Thank you, Jeremy already left and Bonnie is coming to get us, lets go".

We wait for Bonnie out on the porch and Elena starts to stare at me strangely. She's looking at me like she's worried. Ever since the accident she has been extra worried about me. No one ever witnessed me grieving so they believe I have just been repressing it or something. When in reality its just that I never cry in front of anyone. I refuse for anyone to see me that vulnerable. Last time I cried in front of someone was when my ex-boyfriend cheated on me freshman year. They called me dramatic and whiny and spread around school that I was a crybaby. That was the last time I would let my emotions be used against me. As for the ex, his name was Dylan and he was my first actual boyfriend. Had basically all of my firsts with him and we dated for over a year. When he cheated it felt like the worst pain I would ever experience, I was very wrong about that. Good thing he moved to like Florida or something so I didn't have to deal with that.