Chapter Eight

Aiden checked that he was at the right address before he left his car. He was halfway between the city and where he lived, in a small suburb, where houses were placed far from each other on relatively large spaces of land. He got out of his car and walked towards the house. It was quite simple looking, with red brick walls and a large metal roof that sloped slightly downward. The archway windows which faced the street were huge, with thick wooden borders around them. Aiden walked over the bright green grass and found the path leading to the door. It was made up of large grey pavers that were haphazardly placed against the grass, creating an intricate path to the front door. To Aiden, it reminded him of the kind of house that an artist would live in, someone who collected abstract art and sculpted clay in their living room.

Aiden knocked on the large wooden door that seemed to tower over him. He waited for a few moments before the huge door slowly opened. It seemed heavy, the way it slowly pulled away from him with resistance. Oliver stood in the entryway. He wore a maroon coloured sweater and jeans. His expression was hard to read. Aiden felt overcome with a strange emotion. He wanted to know what Oliver was thinking but he knew that he would probably never know what the boy was thinking. Oliver was a closed book. He had been from the moment that they had met, and yet, Aiden felt like it was his duty to open him up and have a look at what made him tick. It was a weird feeling and it intrigued Aiden.

"You came," Oliver said. His tone was just as unreadable as his face was. Aiden wasn't surprised.

Aiden nodded. "I said I would."

Oliver bit at his lip for a few seconds. "I wasn't sure if you would."

There was a silence between them. The cold air hit Aiden from behind, making him want to walk into the house. Oliver, however was still standing in the doorway. "I'm not mad at you, if that's what you think," Aiden replied.

Oliver nodded in understanding. He stepped out of the doorway and motioned for Aiden to enter.

Aiden almost gasped when he stepped inside the house. The floors were shiny timber that made deep noises when his shoes hit them. The inside of the house was simple but stunning. The house was almost one huge room, with the living room and dining room all in front of Aiden and a huge kitchen to the side. The colours were darks and lights, a few grey tones mixed in. Aiden glanced to his right, where he saw a huge staircase that led up to the second level which was only half the size of the first level and hung over them, held up by beams.

"This place is amazing," Aiden exclaimed. He practically spun around to get a better look at it all. He wanted to ask Oliver how he could afford a place like this, but he wasn't sure if he would get a truthful answer.

"Do you want a coffee? Oliver asked. Aiden nodded. "Follow me."

Aiden followed Oliver through the room and across to the kitchen. He sat down at the huge marble bench and folded his arms across it. The marble was cold against his skin. He looked up towards Oliver, who was playing with some fancy looking coffee machine. It was probably the most expensive thing in this place. Aiden could understand why he had spent so much money on the coffee machine, Oliver did love a good coffee.

"I'm really glad you texted me today," Oliver said. He was facing away from Aiden. The coffee machine in front of him started making noises.

Aiden sat back into his seat. "I'm really sorry it took me so long to message you."

Oliver turned towards him. Aiden was surprised to see sadness in his eyes. "I understand completely."

"You should be mad at me. I kicked you out of my apartment. I had no right to do that," Aiden told him. He looked down at his hands. "I really hoped I haven't screwed this up."