Chapter Thirteen

Aiden pushed his plate to the side. "That was incredible," he told Chase.

Chase sipped at the last few drops of coffee from his mug. "I know right," he said as he placed the mug down. "Not a bad start to your twentieth birthday."

Aiden smiled. He looked around at the little indie café that Chase had dragged him to. It was a tiny place with only a handful of tables. He and Chase had the best table, right next to the huge archway window that looked out at a little garden out front. He didn't know how he hadn't found this place before. Aiden was surprised that he was actually having a good morning. He usually hated his birthday and he didn't want to celebrate it, but Chase had pulled him from his bed at seven that morning and taken him to the café. Even with Aiden mumbling and whinging the entire time, Chase had driven him out to the café with a smile on his face and constant reminders of what a good day he was going to have.

"Well, you did wake me up quite abruptly this morning," Aiden muttered, "so I wouldn't exactly say that."

Chase just smiled. "I am going to make you celebrate your birthday whether you like it or not."

Aiden rolled his eyes. "You know I'm not a fan of birthdays."

"You woke me up at midnight on my birthday and threw streamers in my face!"

Aiden shrugged. "Okay, so my hatred for birthdays might be limited to my own birthday."

Chase pushed his plate to the side. "I know that your eighteenth birthday was a disaster, but I don't want that one event to ruin your birthdays for the next fifty years."

Aiden didn't know what to say. He nodded. He was glad that he had Chase.

"I have a little something for you," Chase told him.

Aiden watched Chase reach into his backpack. He pulled out an envelope and slid it across the table.

"You didn't have to get me a gift," Aiden told him.

"Just open it," Chase replied.

Aiden pulled open the envelope and pulled out a card. It was blue with bright red letters. Happy Birthday, it read. He opened the card and two slips of paper slipped out onto his lap. He picked them up and read them.

"Tickets to an art exhibit?"

Chase nodded. "Emerson's sister is a painter. She has an exhibit in the city all of next week. I thought you might like to go with Oliver on the Friday night. I'll be there too, with Emerson. It will be fun."

Aiden slipped the tickets into his pocket. "Thanks Chase, that sounds awesome." He was looking forward to the exhibit. He was mostly looking forward to getting to know Emerson more. A double date with her was bound to be more fun than one with most of Chase's previous girlfriends.

"So, how's things going with Emerson?" he asked. Chase hadn't revealed many details about his date with her a few weeks prior.

"Really good," Chase told him. "We are going on our fifth date tonight."

"Fifth?" Aiden asked. He didn't know about any more dates. "When did the other four happen?"

Chase laughed. "Well, you would know if you had spent any time at the apartment these last few weeks."

Aiden didn't realise how much time he had been spending at Oliver's place. "Have I really been MIA that much?"

Chase nodded. "I've basically been living alone."

Aiden bit at his lip. "I'm sorry."

Chase shrugged. "You don't have to be sorry! You and Oliver are spending time together, I think that's great."