Chapter Fourteen

Aiden snapped a few photos of the ocean. He could see Oliver out in the distance, swimming. His tanned shoulders stuck out from the water and Aiden fought his worry about him being so deep. He watched Oliver through the camera lens. He snapped a few photos of him in the water, diving under the waves as they approached him.

Aiden looked up. The sun was huge and bright and hot above them. It was the perfect day. The sand beneath his feet was warm, soaking his feet deep with every step. The waves were small close to shore, but quite big out to sea. Aiden had never been a fan of huge waves after being dunked under many times as a child. He did love the ocean though, and he stood just at the water's edge where his toes would get pushed under the water with every tiny wave that made it to shore.

Aiden started walking around the water's edge, taking more photos. He kept his eye on Oliver. He felt his phone vibrate in the pocket of his shorts and he pulled it out. Chase's smiling face was on the screen.

"Hello, Chase."

"Hello birthday boy."

Aiden watched Oliver in the distance. "Yesterday was my birthday."

"It's your birthday weekend! It still counts!"

Aiden laughed. "Sure. Anyway, you will not believe the view from where I am standing."

"Are you on the balcony?" Chase asked.

"How do you know that there's a balcony?"

"I did help plan this, you know," Chase reminded him. "Oliver showed me photos of the place."

Aiden laughed. "So you two had some kind of secret meeting about this?"

"We had many secret meetings," Chase replied.

Aiden smiled into the phone. "You two are so sneaky. I can't believe I didn't know."

"Anyway, where are you?"

"On the beach. Oliver is swimming almost neck deep and I'm taking photos."

"That sounds like you," Chase replied. "I would be worried if you weren't taking photos."

"And you would have good reason to." Aiden wandered up and down the beach. "How was your date with Emerson last night?"

"I think I'm in love," Chase told him.

"You're beginning to sound like Mary!" Aiden laughed. "Which photo of the two of you did you plant in her kitchen?"

"Oh hardy-ha!" Chase sounded unamused.

"What ever happened to your love is dead attitude?"

"My what?" Chase asked.

"That whole love isn't real spiel you were going on and on about a few weeks back."

He heard Chase sigh. "Oh that. Well, my perspective has changed."

"Has it now?"

"Yes."

"Emerson must be a special person to flip your ideals so much."

Aiden was actually quite surprised that Chase had gone from his sulking mood a few weeks back to this. It was good for Chase, who had been so heartbroken over Mary. It was good for Chase to move on. Aiden had hated seeing him so upset.

Chase paused for a second. "She is. We've been friends for so long that we just fit together so easily as a couple."

"I'm happy for you, Chase."