Chapter Fifteen

Aiden could tell how nervous Oliver was. He kept tapping his fingers against the steering wheel while he drove. Aiden watched him, he wasn't sure if he should reassure him for the fifteenth time, or just wait it out. He decided on the latter.

They pulled up to Ava's apartment building. "Should we bring our bags up or get them when we leave?" Aiden asked.

Oliver turned and looked at the backseat where their suitcases were piled. "We can get them later, I really don't want to carry them up the stairs."

Aiden had forgotten about Ava's broken elevator. He imagined he and Oliver trying to lug the two heavy suitcases up two flights of stairs and winced. "Oh yeah, good plan."

They walked hand in hand up the stairs. Aiden was excited to spend a little bit of time with Ava and Francesca. He was especially keen to speak with Ava. He was going to meet Oliver's family that night and Oliver hadn't given him any more details about what to expect. He was half expecting to meet a murderous bunch of evil people and somewhat expecting perfectly nice people who argued occasionally. He only knew the tiniest bits of information on his family. He had been trying to subtly find out more about them over the past two weeks. He knew that his brother lived in New York and the family's trip was to see him. He knew that his father liked to talk about business. That was about all he got out of Oliver minus the things he had said about his sister on the afternoon he asked Aiden to go on the trip. If the worst happened, he knew he could chat to his sister about her school and grades. That was his backup plan if shit hit the fan. It wasn't a great plan.

They reached the apartment door. Francesca opened the door. Her green eyes were surrounded by a line of blue eyeliner that almost matched the tips of her hair. She wore ripped jeans and a band shirt that was ripped around her collarbone.

"Are you missing half your outfit?" Oliver asked in lieu of a greeting.

Francesca laughed. "How dare you offend me like this after I woke up at six in the morning on a Saturday for you." She shook her head. "I should just refuse to drive you to the airport now."

Aiden laughed. He stepped towards Francesca. "Well, I like your outfit."

Francesca looked Aiden up and down. He was wearing a band shirt himself, with dark jeans that were tight on his legs. His hair was down and it flirted with the tips of his shoulders. He was quite happy with how much it had grown lately.

"Well, at least your boyfriend has good taste," she told Oliver. She wrapped an arm around Aiden. "We are practically wearing the same thing anyway."

Oliver shook his head. "At least his clothes aren't ripped all the way down his legs."

"Come on grandpa," Aiden said, "get with the times!"

"Come to the kitchen!" Aiden heard Ava yell out. "I'm missing out on the fun!" The three of them walked into the kitchen. They found Ava standing at the kitchen counter, dishing out plates of pancakes. She was wearing purple polka dot pyjamas and her hair was in a messy bun. "Good morning!" she called out very cheerful voice for this hour of the morning.

"Good morning to you too," Oliver said. He left Aiden's side to press a kiss to Ava's cheek.

Ava smiled at Aiden from across the bench. "It's lovely to see you again, Aiden. Please excuse my outfit."

"It's fine," Aiden said. "I didn't know you were cooking."

"Ava's always cooking," Francesca and Oliver said at the same time.

Aiden laughed. "Duly noted." He sat down at the kitchen island. Something on the wall caught his eye. "Is that...?" he asked.

Ava followed his gaze. "Oh yes," she said. "Oliver gave it to us."