07.

CHRISTMAS WAS FAST APPROACHING AND EVERYONE AT HOGWARTS knew it. The mood in the castle had gone increasingly festive and the physical appearance had changed to accompany it. The hallways were decorated with tinsel, the grounds were covered in snow and much to Aquila's dismay, the annual Slug Club Christmas dinner and party was right around the corner.

"I would rather stab myself in the eyes and ears with this spoon; it'd be less torturous than going to that bloody party and listening to Slughorn babble," Aquila complained to Eliza for the tenth time since they had sat down for breakfast that morning. After Aquila's outburst, Eliza had continued eating as much as she normally would, in fear that Marlene would never be seen again and her best friend would be sent to Azkaban.

Giving Aquila a look, the blonde said, "Come on, Quill. Slughorn isn't even that bad."

"He only wants me because I'm a Black," Aquila stated as she rolled her eyes. Trying to be on the more positive side of things, Eliza reasoned, "Or it could be due to the fact that he sees how talented you are."

Aquila laughed, "That's likely. I'm rubbish at Potions, even a blind man could see that."

"You're only rubbish at Potions because you do it to spite him," the blonde girl retorted in a matter-of-fact tone as she filled another plate of food, "If you put half the- no, quarter, if you put quarter the effort that you put into Charms or Transfiguration into Potions, you could be better than everyone. Even Snape."

Disregarding her friend's (something of a) compliment, the dark-haired girl continued her rant, "And I'm supposed to bring a date? Where am I supposed to get a date from?"

Eliza smiled maniacally, and Aquila instantly began to regret ever mentioning anything about Slughorn's party. "Now, that. That, I can help you with."

The blonde girl stood up and Aquila only had time to hide her own face as Eliza hollered at the top of her voice, "For anyone who's interested, Aquila Black over here needs a date to Slughorn's party!"

The Muggleborn witch sat down, looking rather satisfied with herself while Aquila glared at her.

"I hate you so much," Aquila stated as the blonde smiled at her.

"I love you too," Eliza hummed in reply, not even bothered by the threatening look she was receiving from the Black girl.

In order to avoid any comment thrown her way by some petty girl or any confrontation with some hormone-driven boy, Aquila gathered her things and vacated the Hall, praying that she would make it to Ancient Runes undisturbed and alive.

As she walked down the hallway to the classroom, the girl was alone as many of the other students were either still in their dorms getting ready or in the Great Hall, eating breakfast. However, her solitude was short-lived as someone threw an arm around her shoulder. The girl stopped and rose an eyebrow as she looked up and stared into the twinkling eyes of Fabian (or Gideon, she really could not tell them apart) Prewett.

"And to what do I owe this pleasure...?"

The ginger boy smiled, "It's Gideon. Now, a little birdie just whistled in my ear that you, my Aquila dearest, lack a date to Slughorn's party."

She scoffed, "A birdie? I wonder who it could be. It could never be Eliza who just bellowed it out for the entirety of Europe to hear."

The boy smirked and nodded, which only caused Aquila to question him further, "Why? What's it to you?"

"Oh no, it's not for me. I have much better things to be doing than attending a party held by a teacher; I'm merely reserving a place for a friend."

Aquila looked at him sideways, "A friend? Do I know this friend?"

Gideon's smirk turned into a smile that was laced with mischief, "Why, of course you do. He does attend Hogwarts."

While Aquila tried to play a guessing game with Gideon as to who her possible date could be, Remus and Fabian were on the other side of the castle, having a discussion of their own.

"There's nothing to worry about, mate. Gideon is with her now and he's probably already gotten her to agree to go out with you."

Remus ran his hand through his hair, a habit he had developed overtime that showed he was nervous, as he paced the empty corridor, "What if she laughs at me?"

Fabian rolled his eyes, "She won't laugh at you; and even if she does, only she and Gideon are gonna hear it."

The brown-haired boy paused, his eyes widening, "What if Sirius kills me?"

"He won't kill you. The only way he'll know you're going together is if one, you announce it for everyone to know or two, he crashes Slughorn's party and sees the two of you snogging; both of which, I might say, are quite unlikely. Now, calm down."

The young werewolf tried to comply to the older redhead's instruction but he couldn't help the anxiety bubbling in his chest. There were so many things that could go wrong and Remus cursed himself for the moment of lack of judgement that made him come to the Prewetts for help.

Remus opened his mouth to speak, no doubt to say some negative thing that Fabian would have countered with a comment of his own, when Gideon came towards them, panting heavily. The boy bent over, his hands on his knees and his chest expanding and contracting as he took deep breaths.

After a few moments, Gideon recollected himself and with a smile on his face, said the words that sent Remus into a daze.

"She said yes."