3 | "Just leave me alone"

~Avery’s POV~

      I woke up the next morning in a soft bed with someone snoring softly into my neck. When I turned my head, I saw Zach and smiled. He looks so cute in his sleep.

      I carefully unfolded myself from him and slipped off the bed. Gathering my clothes from wherever they were discarded, I started to dress myself. Just as I found my second shoe, I heard a sleepy gravelly sound coming from the bed.

      Zach sat up and rubbed his eyes. “Avery?” he asked. “What’re you doing?”

      “Getting dressed,” I said like it was obvious.

      “I can see that,” he told me. “But why?”

      I just stared at him. “I’m leaving.”

      He looked at me with disbelief. “Are you serious?”

      “Yeah,” I said. “What were you expecting?”

      He looked so confused. “So that’s it?” he asked. “We have sex and then you leave?”

      “Yes, that’s it,” I said.

      “And I never see you again?” he asked.

      “Yeah, that’s how it works. Have you never had a one night stand before with a total stranger?”

      He got off the bed and walked over to me… completely naked. It was hard not to stare at his perfect body. He grabbed me and looked into my eyes.

      “And what if I want to see you again?”

      I pushed against his chest and his arms fell away from me. “You can’t.”

      “Why not?”

      “You just can’t,” I told him. “What happened last night is a one-time thing Zach. I never see anyone more than once.”

      His eyes seemed to darken. “How many guys have you been with?”

      I suddenly became defensive. “That’s none of your business,” I said, putting my hands on my hips.

      “I want you Avery,” he said as his eyes locked onto mine. “Not just for one night but forever.”

      I stared at him in disbelief. Was he serious? “Zach, you’ve chosen the wrong girl,” I told him. “I don’t do relationships… ever.”

      “Why not?”

      Because I’m no good at them, I thought but said: “I don’t want them.”

      “So you’re just gonna stay alone for the rest of your life?”

      Yes. “Maybe,” I told him.

      “Avery–”

      I turned around. “I have to get going,” I said, cutting him off.

      “No, Avery. Wait!” he grabbed my arm and whipped me around. “I have to see you again.”

      I freed my arm from his grip. “No.”

      “Avery–”

      “Just leave me alone Zach!” I shouted and stormed out his room.

~Zach’s POV~

      “Just leave me alone Zach!” she shouted at me before storming out the room.

      I quickly ran after her but she was faster than I expected. She was already out the house and half way down the road when I got to the front door.

      “Avery!” I shouted. “Avery, wait!”

      She started to run and before long she was completely out of sight.

      “Oh my!” I heard someone gasp.

      I looked to the right and saw my neighbour, the elderly Mrs Peters, with her hand over her mouth as she stared at me with wide eyes. It was at that point that I realised I was completely naked.

      “Shit!” I exclaimed and ran into the house, slamming the door behind me.

      I went to my room and flopped down on the bed. Running a hand down my face, I noticed that the room smelt different. I turned to the pillow beside me and sniffed. Avery.

      Not matter what, I would see her again. She was so perfect. Her long blonde hair and those large brown eyes that held so much emotion. Every kiss that we shared sent me over the edge and the sex was mind-blowing. I would be happy just keeping her in my arms all day, just to feel her body next to mine.

      I wanted her. I needed her. I would have her.