6 | "You're sleeping in my room"

~Zach’s POV~

      When we got back to the house, I showed Avery back to her room. She had been there ever since and it had been hours. I decided to see if anything was wrong. Knocking softly on her bedroom door, I waited for an answer. Nothing. I knocked again. Still nothing. Slowly, I cracked the door open and poked my head inside. My heart clenched when I saw her.

      She looked like an angel, sleeping soundlessly on the bed. Her features were so relaxed and carefree. I watched her for another moment until I realised that I was being a complete pervert watching her sleep. I shut the door with a soft click and decided to order some pizza for dinner. I couldn’t be bothered to cook anything at the moment.

      The pizza guy arrived within half-an-hour and I paid him. I had decided to buy two: Pepperoni and Veggie Supreme because I was unsure as to what Avery would like. I had just grabbed a couple of plates when Avery walked into the kitchen.

      I smiled at her, “Hey.”

      “Hi,” she mumbled.

      “Did you sleep well?”

      “Yeah.”

      “Want some pizza?”

      She nodded and hopped onto one of the bar stools while I took the other one. She grabbed a slice of each pizza and loaded them onto her plate.

      I couldn’t help but stare at her while we were eating. She seemed content usually but when you looked into her eyes, you saw pain. Something had hurt her and she had been affected quite badly by it. I wanted to know what it was so that I could help her get past it and then maybe she would let me in.

      I noticed that she was still wearing that red dress with the beer stain on it.

      “Do you wanna borrow some of my clothes until we can buy some for you?” I asked her.

      She looked down at herself like she had just realised what she was wearing. “Oh, right, yeah.”

      We finished the pizza and then she followed me to my bedroom. I opened the wardrobe and searched around for a t-shirt and some sweatpants. There is no way that any of my sweatpants will fit her; they’ll slip right off! Nevertheless, I handed her a white t-shirt and grey sweatpants.

      “They’re clean, I promise,” I said with a smile.

      She smiled too as she took them.

      “I’m not sure if the sweatpants will fit. They’re way too big and those are the smallest I have. Sorry.”

      “It’s okay,” she said. “I’ll just be happy to get out of this dress.”

      The sound of glass breaking made Avery and I jump.

      “What the hell?” I rushed out the room – with Avery right behind me – and headed to where the sound had come from: Avery’s bedroom.

      When we got there, I saw the window had been smashed into and there was a football lying on the ground. I picked up the ball and went over to the window, careful not to step on the shards of glass. That was where I saw the culprits: Mrs Peters’ grandsons were standing in their garden with stricken looks on their faces.

      Mrs Peters stepped out of the back door of the house, took one look at the scene in front of her and went red with anger.

      “Boys! How many times have I told you to be careful when playing outside?!” she shouted.