Chapter 4

She eyed us suspiciously but said, "Yes. I'll get him in now."

"Thank you," I said as she closed the door and ran down the hallway.

"Wow, you can be pleasant," Olenis noted with a smirk. I elbowed him.

Another minute later, the girl and her grandfather came back. We did small introductions and were welcomed inside.

Willow, the girl, lead us down the hall into the basement when we told them we had information on the Westbury Faerie. I looked around the dark room.

"Well, I don't mean to sound impatient, but what do you have for us?" Dr. Beck asked.

I smiled and opened my hands. "Willow, Dr. Beck, meet my sister." I set her on the table and as they bent over her, I transformed Relder, Olenis, and I back into faerie form.

They looked over at us and their eyes widened. "How did you...?" Willow started to ask.

"Where are your wings?" Dr. Beck interrupted, examining them closely.

"We only get them in the spring," I explained quickly. "I'd love to answer all of your questions, but we need your help. My Magic...well...I sent you that box of evidence. We need to find Lauren Ripton, she's still alive."

"Oh yes she is," a hoarse voice said behind me. Everyone swerved to find at least one thousand dark faeries surrounding a beautiful blonde, brown eyed human.

"Wren," Relder said sadly.

"Where did you come from?" Willow mumbled.

He isn't surprised, Sekate noted.

What do you mean? I asked silently.

Something's off. But...you need to distract them. Keep them talking. Sekate went silent and I went to work.

"Who are you?" I demanded.

One dark faerie with her hair pulled up in a black, frizzy ponytail stepped forward.

"I am second in command. My name is Lilyith."

I took a step back in midair. "I've heard of you you-" I gasped. "You killed that woman seventy years ago."

"It was self defense!" she growled. "And I heard that you are the new Westbury Faerie."

"Wait a second, if you're second in command, who's your leader?"

"Oh, you don't know?"

"That's not important!" Relder interrupted.

Kalia!!! It's him!!!!!

I glided away from Relder. "You?" But then I realized something. "That means... You- you couldn't have."

Olenis flew over and put his hands on my shoulders. "What, Kalia?"

"Did...Did you kill Phillip Ripton?"

Relder looked away. "I had to. But when I came back to find Lauren, she was gone." He looked longingly at Lauren. Relder glided slowly toward the group of dark faeries and grew darker himself until he was the darkest out of all of them. "I was the only one who planned murder. I did this to find Lauren, and now that that's over, I'm done."

"Hold on, you're going to let them go?" Lilyith asked.

"Of course."

She grinned evilly. "I knew you couldn't handle it. Forces, you know what to do." The front line lunged at Relder. He let out a scream as he got dragged to the floor.

All of the other nine hundred dark faeries turned toward us. We were going to die.