Chapter 7: Busting out of MACUSA

We walk along a long, black, metallic corridor until we finally reach a pure white cell, which consist of a chair suspended over a square pool of rippling potion. "Don't do this--Bernadette--please..." Tina begged one of the executioners.

The other two executioners where behind Newt and I as we watch Tina being lead to the edge of the pool, her breathing heavy and erratic. The smiling executioner raises a wand and extracts Tina's memories from her head. Tina instantly calms down as the executioner casts the memories into the potion, which ripples and then comes alive with scenes of Tina's past:

Tina....Tina....Come on, pumpkin--time for bed. Are you ready?

The woman's voice echoes in the room, which I assume is Tina's mother, as Tina looks down at the potion. "Don't that look good. You wanna get in?" The executioner asked Tina and she nods vacantly.

The executioner raises a wand and summons the chair, which floats closer to the edge and they set Tina on the chair and it floats back to the middle of the pool. She looks down smiling as images of her family, her parents and a young Queenie appears on the surface but then it changes to an image of Tina in a church, walking around and comes upon the Second Salemer woman from the bank, who is standing over the boy I saw handing out the leaflets. He looked terrified as the woman holds a belt over her head, about to strike the poor boy. 'No wonder he looked troubled.' I thought as Tina, in the vision, becomes angry and casts a spell at the woman, striking her, and moves forward to comfort the boy.

At that moment, I was grabbed by the shoulder and lead to the edge of the pool. "No don't, please...." I hear Newt say but he stops.

I look over my shoulder and see the third executioner points his wand to Newt's throat. I give him a small smile and turn back to face the pool.

"Okay, let's get the good stuff out of you." One of the executioners said to me and she raises her wand but at that point I hear something hit the floor.

I turn around and see Newt got out of his shackles, thanks to Pickett for being so attached to Newt, and throws the Swooping Evil forward towards the pool then punches the guard.

I turn around and head-butt the second executioner, who drops her wand into the pool and tumbles back to the ground, unmoving, as The Swooping Evil takes out the last executioner.

When the wand lands into the pool, the liquid rises up in vicous black bubbles, instantly engulfing the wand. Newt comes up behind me and while Pickett jumps on my shackles and unlocks it. Once the shackles unlocks, I turn around and hug Newt.

​​​​​​​WITCH!!

​​​​​​​We hear the Second Salemer woman's voice shout from the liquid and we look up at Tina and see she has become terrified as the chair slowly floats down to the liquid. Finally she snaps out of it and screams.

"MR SCAMANDER! MISS (L/N)!" She shouted as the liquid turned to a black bubbling death potion. It rises up, surrounding Tina on her chair, almost engulfing her. Tina stands up to get away, almost falling off in her haste.

"DON'T PANIC!" Newt shouted at her.

"WHAT DO YOU TWO SUGGEST I DO INSTEAD?" She asked.

Newt makes a strange tutting sound, commanding the Swooping Evil to circle the pool. I look at the creature then at Newt and smile as I realize what he is going to suggest. I turn to face Tina and said. "Jump." Tina looks at the Swooping Evil, fearful and disbelieving, before turning her gaze on me.

"ARE YOU CRAZY?" She asked.

"Jump on him." said Newt as we walk up and stand on the edge of the pool.

"Tina, listen to us. We'll catch you." I said to her as the liquid has now risen up in waves to Tina's full height. She looks back at us, fearful, but the both of us give her a reassured look.

"We'll catch you. We got you, Tina..." Newt said, calmly.

We watch the Swooping Evil for a moment, flying around in circles, when Newt and I look at each in the eyes for a moment and nod then face back to Tina. "Go!" We shouted and Tina jumps in between two of the waves, just as the Swooping Evil passes.

She lands on its back then hops quickly forward straight into our outstretched hands as the both of us grab her arms. Then Newt raises his other hand, recalling the creature, which folds into a cocoon once more. Newt grabs my hand as I grab Tina's wrist and the three of us head towards the exit.

The three of us charge through the basement corridors when a group of Aurors started casting spells at us. We dodge them as we dart behind some pillars and Newt sends out the Swooping Evil, once again, which swirls overhead, flying in and out of the pillars, blocking curses and knocking Aurors to the ground.

Then it lands on one of the Aurors and uses it proboscis to probe the ear but Newt makes a clicking sound. "LEAVE HIS BRAINS, Come on! Come on!" He shouts at the creature. The Swooping Evil flies after us, blocking curses.

"What is that thing?" Tina asked us.

"Swooping Evil." I replied as we continue to run across the corridor.

"Well, I love it!" Tina shouted as Newt and I smile at this.

We turn a corner and almost collide with Queenie and Jacob. I notice that Queenie has Newt's case and our wands as the five of us look at each other in a panic.

Finally, Queenie gestures to the case and said. "Get in!" She opens it and Newt, Tina, Jacob and I climb in and we sit and wait as Queenie closes the case and sneaks us out of the MACUSA.

After while, Queenie opens the case and gives us the okay and the four of us climb out of the case and on to a rooftop of a building. Newt goes to stand on a ledge, Pickett on his shoulder, as we walk past a wooden shed.

"Your grandfather kept pigeons?" Queenie asked Jacob as he enters the shed.

"Mine bred owls. I used to love feeding 'em." She said, smiling at him.

I walk over to the ledge and stand next to Newt and Tina comes up besides me. "Graves always insisted the disturbances were caused by a beast. We need to catch all your creatures so he can't keep using them as a scapegoat." She said as she looks over at us.

"There's only one still missing. Dougal, our Demiguise." Newt said as he looks over at Tina and I.

"Dougal?" She said, confused.

"Slight problem is that....um, he's invisible." I said to her.

"Invisible?" She asked.

"Yes---most of the time....he does...um..." Newt trails off as Tina looks between us.

"How do you catch something that--?" She started to asked but I answer her before she finishes her question.

"With immense difficulty." I answered with a small smile.

"Oh." She said as she looks at us and nods. She looks off to the the side for a moment then suddenly her face lights up and turns to face us.

"Gnarlak!" She exclaimed.

"What?" I asked as Newt said. "Excuse me?"

"Gnarlak--he was an informant of mine when I was an Auror! He used to trade in magical creatures on the side--" she said.

"He wouldn't happen to have an interest in paw prints, would he?" Newt asked her. "He's interested in anything he can sell." Tina said as she smiles at us.

"Come on. Follow me." She said and the five of us head out.