Chapter 11: Will We Die, Just Alittle?

"The Obscurial was killed on my orders, Mr Graves." Picquery said as she emerges from behind the group. "Yes. And history will surely note that, Madam President." Graves said as he moves towards her along the platform, his tone threatening.

"What was done here tonight was not right!" He said.

"He was responsible for the death of a No-Maj. He risked the exposure of your community. He has broken one of our most sacred laws--" Picquery said, her voice rising with anger. 'But it wasn't his fault!' I thought as Graves laughs, bitterly.

"A law that has us scuttling like rats in the gutter! A law that demands that we conceal our true nature! A law that directs those under its dominion to cower in fear lest we risk discovery! I ask you, Madam President--" then he look so over at the rest of us. "I ask all of you--who does this law protect? Us?" And then he raises his finger to the top, gesturing to the Muggles above. "Or them?" He said and he smiles bitterly before he continues. "I refuse to bow down any longer." Then he walks away.

"Aurors, I'd like you to relieve Mr Graves of his wand and escort him back to--" Picquery started to say before a white light appears in front of Graves, blocking his path. He stops and stares before turning around and starts firing spells at the group of Aurors.

Spells fly back at him from all angles, but he parries them all. In a split second Newt pulls the cocoon from his pocket and releases it at Graves. The Swooping Evil soars around him, shielding us from Graves's spells, and giving Newt time to raise his wand and slash it through the air: out flies a crackling rope of supernatural light that wraps itself around Graves like whip. Graves tries to hold it off as it tightens, but staggers, struggles and falls to his knees, dropping his wand.

"Accio." Tina shouted and Graves's wand flies into her hand.

Newt takes my hand in his as we slowly approach Graves, who has a look of deep hatred in his eyes. "Revelio." Newt said after he raises his wand and Graves transforms into the man I hoped I never see in person, the man who killed my mother: Grindelwald! Madam Picquery moves towards him as Grindelwald looks up at her with his haunting blue eyes.

"Do you think you can hold me?" He asked her with contempt.

"We'll do our best, Mr Grindelwald." She said as the two of them stare intently at each other for a moment before two Aurors force him to his feet and move him forward.

As Grindelwald reaches Newt and I, he pauses--both smiling and sneering. He looks over at us as Newt pushes me behind him, shielding me from the Dark wizard. "Will we die, just a little?" He asked then he is led away, up and out of the subway.

Few minutes later, Queenie and Jacob push their way through to the front of the Aurors. Queenie goes and hugs Tina and I as Jacob hands the case to Newt. "Hey....figured somebody oughta keep an eye on this thing." Jacob said with a smirk. "Thank you." Newt said, completely grateful. I go and walk over to Jacob and hug him as Picquery walks over to us.

"We owe you two an apology, Mr Scamander and Miss (L/N). But the magical community is exposed! We cannot Obliviate an entire city." She said as she stares though the broken roof of the subway. I follow her gaze and see something that captured my interest.

I nudge Newt and he looks over at me and I jerk my head in the direction of the small black matter of the Obscurus floating away. I look over at Newt and give him a small smile and he returns the smile as he turns his attention back to Picquery.

"Actually, I think we can." He said and he places his case underneath the huge hole and opened it. We stand back as Frank comes flying out of the case. Newt and I move forward and examine Frank, a look of real tenderness and pride on our faces.

"We were intending to wait until we got to Arizona, but it seems like now you are our only hope, Frank." Newt said to the creature. He reaches out his arm and Frank presses his beak lovingly into the embrace--they nuzzle each other affectionately.

I smile as Frank, gently, pulls away from Newt and moves over to me. I stroke his head and he starts to nuzzle me. "I'll miss you too." I whispered to him. Newt comes up to him and strokes his head again as tears forms into my eyes again. "Both of us will miss you." Newt said.

We step back as Newt takes out the flask of Swooping Evil venom from his pocket. "You know what you've got to do." He said to Frank and he throws the vial high up into the air as Frank lets out a sharp cry and catches it with his beak and soars out of the subway.

Newt wraps his arm around my shoulder and I wrap my arms around him and lay my head on his shoulder. He kisses the top of my head then lays his head on top of mine as we watch Frank fly high up into the sky and make a dark storm cloud over the city. A moment later, the darkening sky flashes a brilliant blue and the rain begins to fall.

The Aurors then swiftly repairs the roof as Newt turns around to face them. "They won't remember anything. That venom has incredibly powerful Obliviative properties." He said.

"We owe you a great debt, Mr Scamander and Miss (L/N)." Picquery said, impressed.

She looks at the case then back at us. "Now--get that case out of New York." She said.

"Yes, Madam President." Newt and I said, in unison, as she and her Aurors start walking away but then she stopped and turn to us again. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Queenie standing protectively in front of Jacob, trying to hide him.

"Is that No-Maj still here?" Picquery asked and she look so over Queenie's shoulder and sees Jacob.

"Obliviate him. There can be no exceptions. I'm sorry---but even one witness....you know the law." She said and looks at our anguished and distressed looks on our faces. "I'll let you say good-bye." She said and she leaves.

Jacob leads us up to the steps of the subway, Queenie following close behind him. The rain is still falling heavily, the streets now almost empty but for a few Aurors who were still repairing the city.

Jacob stops at the top of the steps and gazes at the rain. Queenie reaches out and grabs his coat, willing him not to move out onto the street. Jacob turns around to face us. "Hey. Hey, this is for the best. Yeah--I was--I was never even supposed to be here." He said as I hear his voice is full of choked backed tears.

Queenie gazes up at him, her face full of distress, Tina had tears rolling down her face as Newt and I exchange a sad look. "I was never supposed to know any of this. Everybody knows Newt and (Y/N) only kept me around because---hey--Newt, (Y/N), why did you two keep me around?" Jacob asked us.

I look down at the pavement steps, not wanting to make eye contact and I feel Newt's fingers intertwine with mine and then I hear him speak up.

"Because we like you. Because you're our friend." He said.

I look back up and face Jacob and said. "And we'll never forget how you helped us, Jacob."

"Oh!" Jacob said, overcome with emotions.

Queenie moves forward up the stairs toward him. "I'll come with you. We'll go somewhere--we'll go anywhere--see, I ain't never gonna find anyone like--" she started to say but Jacob talks over her.

"There's loads like me" Jacob said trying to sound brave.

"No....No.....There's only one like you." Queenie replied as she shakes her head.

"I gotta go." He said and he turns to face the rain and wipes his eyes.

"JACOB!" Newt and I said as we start after him but Jacob turns to us and tries to smile.

"It's okay.....it's okay.....it's okay. It's just like waking up, right?" He said and we smile back at him.

Jacob walks backwards into the rain and turns his face to the sky, arms out, he allows the water to wash over him. Queenie magics herself an umbrella with her wand and steps towards him. She strokes his face and bends down and kisses him. I sniff at this as I let some tears roll down my face.

Newt looks over at me and wipes them away with his thumb as he caresses my cheek into his callous hand. I give him a small smile as Queenie backs away from Jacob and the four of us Disapparate to the Goldstein's residence where Queenie spent the rest of the day in her room, crying.