Chapter 9

I won't let these little things slip out of my mouth...

♥♥♥

Harry

I cut the engine and walked to the other side of the car to get Carter. She was in a deep sleep and it was adorable how vulnerable she looked. I picked her up bridal-style and knocked on the front door of her house.

It was already 3 in the morning so I wasn't really expecting anyone to answer. Eventually, I heard the door click and Carter's mum, Julie, was standing there. "Carter? What happened?" She asked, moving out of the way to let me in.

"Carter went to a party and she turned out to be drunk." I was expecting Julie to get angry at me for bringing Carter to a party (even though I didn't) but instead she smiling and chuckled. I quirked an eyebrow at her. "Sorry, it's just, Carter hasn't been to a party for a long time and she used to come home drunk quite often before she was diagnosed and all..." She drifted off.

I put Carter on the couch and decided to take this as an opportunity to talk to Julie about Carter. "What was Carter like before she found out?" I asked.

"Where do I start, Carter has changed in a lot of ways. She was always happy and she was very adventurous. She would go to parties with her friends at her old school every Saturday night and come home half drunk. I would always get annoyed at her but it makes me happy to know that she's beginning to get back to her old ways. I miss my old Carter." She began to tear up.

"Harry I want to thank you for what you've been doing for Carter lately. She's a lot happier around the house now. I want her last few years to be the best even though she doesn't want them to."

I smiled, I'm glad that I'm the one making her happy. "I guess I should bring her upstairs..." She said, wiping her eyes with her sleeves.

I stood up, "I can take her up there if you want." I offered. The last time I was here Carter didn't let me into her room and I know it's bad but I want to know what she's hiding.

"Thank you Harry, her rooms the first door on the left." She said and I picked up Carter and brought her upstairs to her room.

Once I had found her room, I kicked open the door. Her room was dark and I could only just make out where her bed was. I placed her on her bed and switched on the lamp in her bedside table.

I was shocked to see Carter's room was nothing how I thought it would be. The walls were blue and there were posters and frames hanging on them. There were tons of Polaroid pictures of her and who I think were her friends.

I walked around the room. I know this was not a good idea but Carter probably wouldn't find out. In the corner of the room was an old record player. There was a box lying next to it filled with records. I chuckled to myself at some of the artists she listens to.

Her book shelf was filled with a lot of the books I have read. But what caught my eye the most was the amount of pictures she has.

There was a giant cork board with Polaroid pictures pinned onto it, each had a date written in the bottom of the picture. Many of them were at least a year ago from now.

In most of them she was smiling and laughing but in a lot of the others she was out partying, like her mum said she used to do. She looked genuinely happy and that's something I would like to experience with Carter.

To see her happy.

I took one last look at the drunk girl lying on her bed and smiled at the sight.

As I made my way towards the door, I saw something lying on her desk. I walked over and picked it up.

My adventure book by Carter Marie Jones