Chapter One

A/N This wasn't exactly supposed to come out till next week, since I said that this week's update would be the List of Characters...but I suppose I did promise to drop the story today, and I couldn't resist. Here it is - Chapter One of Apollo.

LOCKHART MANOR TREMBLED WITH THE NOISE OF ABSOLUTE QUIET NOW that Emmeline was gone from it. The entirety of Portsmouth missed her, but no one more than her twin brother. Emmett Lockhart spent most of his days in his study with his head in his hands, wondering what he had done. His actions were driven by a will to stop himself from losing the two people closest to his heart; yet they had done just the opposite, and now because of the mistakes he had made he would not have both in his life half as frequently as he would like to. Emmeline lived in St James' Palace, which was a day and a half away. Peter, in the meantime, had turned to the ocean in a search for respite from his heartbreak, and his request to his superiors to be deployed to patrol the colonies was quickly granted with a nod and a sympathetic look in the rear admiral's eye.

    It was just as he had feared: Earl Portsmouth was all alone.

    Sighing, he returned his eyes to the envelope before him. It was from his father. Despite offering his support should the young lord ever seek it, William had chosen not to write him for a long while, hoping to give him time to nurse his own broken soul instead of bombarding him with plans to find him a wife or with London noise so quickly after Emmeline's wedding. The old duke had done so rightly, and Emmett had appreciated his consideration, but it now seemed like his period of rest from the many complexities of high society was over. Breaking the wax seal open, he pulled out the letter and began to read.

Dear Emmett

    I hope you have somewhat recovered. I understand that you remain very upset by Emmeline's marriage and Captain Jamison's departure, and it is because of all the complications with your sister's affairs that I have put this off for many months. However, son, remember that your own marriage continues to be an issue I need to resolve.

I think we have confirmed this earlier in the year: Lady Adelaide Farthingale does not seem to be an option for you. As such, I have written my friend the Duke of Westchester, who has a lovely daughter Victoria. From what Lord Westchester has told me, I think you might be fond of her. Do come to Wellington House, and we will discuss it in person. I will be expecting you.

Yours
William Lockhart

    Sighing once again, he pulled open his drawer to find a piece of letter paper and an envelope before penning his reply immediately, thanking William for his concern but, in the same breath, notifying his father that he had no will to travel into the city over his marriage – that, in fact, he had no will to marry at all. He wrote that he hoped William would grant his wish and leave him in peace just for one more month and signed off before sealing his envelope, writing William's particulars on it before handing it to a servant to be mailed. The butler cast a worried look his way, but took his leave without comment and sent the letter on its way to Wellington House.

    Emmett's position on marriage had not changed: he was against it. He did not wish to marry. Previously, he had taken such a stand for pride and rebellion's sake, also inspired by his own parents' broken relationship. Now, however, his aversion to marital union originated not from angst or hatred but from deep regret and remorse. The one person he loved more than any on the face of the earth, his sister, would never be with the man she loved. She would be trapped in a marriage she did not want for decades, perhaps until her last breathing day, caged in the way their mother Anne had been for the entirety of her life...and it was all because of him.

    If this was so, perhaps he did not deserve a blissful marriage either. He had ruined his sister's life. How could he allow himself to find happiness while his sister would forever be chained to a man she did not love, all because of his folly? How would he live with himself? He already felt as if his guilt devoured him every day. He did not wish to add to the list of actions he hated himself for.