Chapter Twenty

A/N Here's Chapter Twenty! (Note: This is NOT the finale! Regarding chapter count, Apollo is estimated to have thirty chapters! Artemis only had twenty, but Apollo has shorter chapters – if you haven't noticed! 😉)

THE AMENDMENT WAS NOT PASSED IN COURT. BOTH PRINCES ALEXANDER and Javier were greatly disappointed, and shortly after receiving the news they sat, dejected, in the palace library with Princess Emmeline offering them comfort.

    "Truly, I am deeply heartened by both your efforts," she said. "Thank you – thank you for trying. Pray do not be discouraged...I am sure you have convinced at least one or two lords to rally around this cause."

    "I just cannot see why – I cannot understand these people," Javier cried. "Why would anyone not support such a cause? Those snobs seemed to react well to my speech, and Alexander wrote the proposal so well..."

    She smiled at him, though it was slightly pained. "Perhaps you did touch them somewhat, but I am afraid most lords would never contradict your father's word. It cannot be helped – he is King, and they need to be in his favour. If he wishes to keep women out of the universities, he will."

    "I do not comprehend him, either," he complained. "He loves our mother – I have seen it, he would go to the ends of the earth for her! Yet he will not support such a proposal – why?"

    "He has his beliefs, Javier, and it might take a lot more than a woman he loves to change them...it frustrates me as much as it frustrates you, but it is how it is. He is how he is."

    "I hate that man," he bit out. "I hate him. I wish there was something we could do to stop him from having his way – anything!"

    There was a brief pause before Alexander spoke. "Perhaps...perhaps there is something."

    "Alexander..." his wife cautioned warily, shooting him a look.

    "Let's hear it, brother," Javier said eagerly. Then, turning to the princess, "Do not worry yourself quite yet, Emmeline. We know our limits."

    "I—I have a contact in one of the universities – a professor, and one of substantial influence at that. Emmeline, if you should so desire me to, I could get you into some academic work there."

    "M-me?" she sputtered. "In a university? Alexander—! I..."

    "Your brother would have to go with you. Rather, you would have to go with him – should you agree to this, you will be there in order to assist him in some research I will task him with doing...but it would give you the chance to engage in academic study, consult with the professors and acquire knowledge you might otherwise find inaccessible."

    "Is this something currently practiced?" she asked.

    "Not to my knowledge, but given that I am Crown Prince...we could make it happen."

    "I would have the chance to do research in a university," she marvelled at the thought.

    "And Father would be hopping with anger," Javier added, smirking.

    "Most importantly, it might pave the way for change," Alexander said. "Emmeline, if you can prove the intellectual capabilities of women to the academic community, we could see change."

    "Change," she echoed, smiling. Then, "What about you, then? Will you not come with us?"

    He shook his head with some sadness. "I'm afraid I have to remain in the castle, beloved; I have duties here. My father has no intention for any of us to go into academic work – we were all tutored privately, and he expects us to work in court for the rest of our lives."