Chapter Twenty-Two

A/N Words cannot describe how sorry I am. I've just had this really important exam and banged this out as quickly as I could after. Unfortunately the insane amount of plot development in this chapter made it slightly harder to write and it took me a few days :d Either way, here's Chapter Twenty-Two, piping hot, fresh from the oven and full of drama! (Trust me...this is the most dramatic the story has ever been. I hope that makes up for the lateness.)

A MONTH HAD PASSED IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE, AND WITH THAT THE Lockhart twins' residence in the university had drawn to a close. In Emmeline's opinion it was all too soon, but there was little work left to do, and whatever was left could be completed outside of campus.

    The larger reason for having to return to her home in St James' Palace, however, was a large party that the Queen was about to throw, the grandest soiree of the year. It was in honour of her wedding anniversary with King Andrew – and this year was a celebration of their thirtieth, meaning that it would be the most extravagant one yet.

    Presently there was an hour left until Emmeline was due to make her appearance in the royal ballroom, and Penelope was preparing her for the event. As she helped put on the pastel pink lace dress, she asked, "Are you looking forward to the dance, my lady?"

    "I would rather be researching with Emmett in the university," the princess answered, somewhat sullenly. "Now that I have tasted study...dancing feels like a waste of my time."

    She laughed. "Take it as a moment of rest from academia, my lady, after weeks of research you would surely enjoy a night of dancing and music?"

    Emmeline considered this for a moment before nodding with a light smile. "You are quite right, Penny, I think I might enjoy letting loose for just a night. I have had much too much on my mind for much too long."

    "Well, there you have it," the lady-in-waiting said, grinning. "His Highness will come to walk you to the ballroom shortly, my lady, and he will be pleased. You look beautiful."

    She was right. Alexander was positively beaming as she took his arm, and he commented as charmingly as always, "Why, all the lords shall been green with envy, for I will have the most beautiful woman in the room on my arm tonight."

    "They would envy you enough for being crown prince," she said with a roll of her eyes. "Besides, the limelight tonight belongs to your mother. Make sure that no one causes a scene, would you?—I will, of course, also be on the lookout."

    "Of course," he said. "Anything for my wife."

    "You're such a charmer." She laughed. "But I am not jesting, Alexander. Your mother has been dreaming of tonight for months now, and she even called me home from my study so that the whole family would be in attendance – it means a lot to her, and it is paramount that the party is no less than perfect."

    "Pray do not worry yourself," he said, patting her hand reassuringly. "I promise I will be vigilant tonight to make sure that no one will ruin this for Mother. Besides, what could possibly go wrong?"

    She sighed. "I don't know. I just have a feeling...And that is what frightens me most of all."

***

IT WOULD SEEM AS IF EMMELINE'S CONCERN HAD BEEN FOR NAUGHT, FOR the party was going without a hitch. The music was lively, the food was more delectable than the princess had ever tasted it, and guests – all dressed to the nines – were enjoying themselves immensely.

    Presently she stood with her brother and father, discussing the research the twins had done in the past many days. William Lockhart was listening, intrigued, as Emmeline outlined the parameters of their study and the results they were in the midst of analysing. Emmett contributed to the discussion occasionally, often offering details about how pleased Professor Whitman had been with Emmeline's work.