Chapter Eleven

A/N Fun fact: it's Friday. I made time. Here's Eleven.

"WHAT?"

    "I said—I wouldn't be too sure about that." He swallowed. "Look."

    Emmeline turned, wondering what on earth could have frightened her husband thusly. Upon seeing it for herself, her eyes nearly popped out from their sockets.

    Victoria Arden was all but hanging off poor Frederick, who looked most uncomfortable, his body postured away from hers, arm as far away from his side as he could hold it without being rude, and eyes scanning the crowd for anyone who could possibly help him escape the situation.

    "Well, she was certainly speedy mending her shattered heart," Alexander remarked after an extended silence. "I would have thought she would be more anguished over losing your brother as a potential match...but, of course, considering that my brothers have since returned...well, I suppose I am not surprised."

    Emmeline turned to meet his gaze. "Shall we rescue Frederick from her clutches? I feel rather sorry for him, look at the poor man's face."

    He snickered. "You know, I am quite tempted to let him be. He looks so distressed."

    "And you enjoy seeing him this way?"

    "Why, of course," he answered. "Freddy always has his wits about him. In all honesty, it is quite amusing to watch him lose them."

    "You are a cruel man," was all she said to him before walking towards her struggling brother-in-law. He chuckled to himself, but followed after her anyway.

    "Frederick! Mother wishes to have a word with you," she said to the pale-faced prince. "I'm not sure what she wants, but she mentioned something about the lemon ices and a very upset lady."

    "Mother? Truly? Well, excuse me, Lady Victoria," he said. "I must go."

    Deftly pulling his arm out of her grasp, he slipped away into the crowd.

    Victoria, looking very disconcerted, curtsied and also left with a small huff. Alexander offered her an amused nod as she went, barely succeeding in suppressing his laughter.

    "Well," Emmeline said, turning back to him, "I imagine ridding ourselves of her shall be a challenge now, given that your brother is even greater a catch than mine."

    "On the contrary, I think it shall not be," he answered, "if only because Freddy will most certainly not take interest in her, if his earlier misery was any indication of his will to take her as his wife."

    "True enough," she conceded. "Very well. What else have we to do tonight?"

    "Speak to your brother," he replied; then, grinning, "and dance to one more song."

    She laughed. "Eager to dance with me, now are we?"

    "You're a good conversationalist. I like spending time with you – in fact, as most people do."

    She smiled. "Why, thank you. I'm flattered. If—" She was about to suggest dancing to the next song if it was slightly livelier than the current one playing, but froze suddenly as something – more specifically, a pair of striking green eyes just like hers – caught her gaze.

    And then he was walking towards her, and although she had already intended to speak to him tonight to begin with, she felt the sudden urge to flee.

    "Emmeline," her brother greeted, and she could hear her heart hammering in her ears. "May we have a word?"

    "We may." She showed no intention to move.